1.8 TD (escort 99) juddering problem

My 1999 Escort TD has just developed a weird fault , occassionaly when starting from cold it judders when idling and emits lots of smoke (hard to tell for a diesel - I know !!). After 5 minutes this settles down and the engine runs as normal with the normal amount of emmissions. What should I be looking at with this problem ?

Many Thanks

Reply to
Jim

Sounds like one of the glow plugs is knackered, so the diesel isn't igniting in that cylinder?

5 mins is a long time though.
Reply to
TimM

Not really. With proper use of glowplugs, it'll produce a puff, and that's it.

The glow plugs - it's probably dropped one or more.

The juddering and smoke is because it's running on fewer cylinders.

Reply to
DervMan

definitely glow plugs - DO NOT be tempted by cheap non-ford plugs did that last winter just changed to Fords last week starting is much better again, only problem is the cost £16 ea !!! compared to £6 for cheapies

Nik V

Reply to
NikV

The message from "NikV" contains these words:

Expensive non-Ford plugs however are fine. Bosch seem to last for ages. The cheap'n'cheerful ones are dire.

Reply to
Guy King

Three years ago I bought NGK glow plugs, and they are still good.

Bill

Reply to
Barney

Just out of interest (I hope I won't need to change them for a few years) how much are the 'expensive' non-ford plugs - NGK, Bosch - any others

Nik

Reply to
NikV

3 years ago NGK were £14 each, but that wasn't from a discount outlet.

Bill

Reply to
Barney

and just to confuse you even more. I changed injectors on my Escort, but was horrified at the cost of the Ford oem ones, so fitted cheep Champion ones at £4 each. EIGHT YEARS later they are still working OK.

Reply to
Mark

PILLICK i did mean Glow plugs ;-) ;-) ;-)

Reply to
Mark