A4 sound system volume control problem

Hi, My 99A4TQ sound system either wants to play volume at the loudest possible or not at all when I try to adjust the volume control. Does anyone know what is going on and how to fix it. Thanks

This sounds like the very common EEPROM fault, well documented on various forums, eg: http://www.audi-forums.com/t335-a3-has-a-faulty-volume-control.htm