Cooling System Volume

Why, after flushing my 89 300E will the cooling system only take about 6l of coolant rather than the about 10l specified? I'm draining using the screw-in red plug on left (looking from front) bottom of the radiator. Anyone have any ideas?

cheers, guenter :wq

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Obviously you didn't drain the engine block - and after finding its drain plug you won't want to!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Shade tree mechanic method;jack the rear of car as high as possible and let gravity do the work.

Shot in the dark;vapor lock in heater core?!?!

Reply to
CaptainW116

thanks, I _was_ hoping it might be something else, but thought so. Let me guess .... the plug is nigh on impossible to get at or to get out. Seems I remember something around the exhaust manifold on the block that might be the drain plug.... correct?

cheers, guenter

ps. why the h... would MB engineer a system whereby the rad drain screw only drains half the system..... arrgghh

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Run a bunch of plain old water in there and drain it again. Do this a couple of times.

Then add your new coolant while considering that you are mixing it with the (about) 4L of water that are still in there.

I guess there might be a "block drain plug", as someone on the list explained to me (a BWM guy actually), I have yet to see this.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Thanks, for the tip - good idea and will probably save a whole bunch of likely aggrevation ..... my citric acid flush in conjuction with half- concentration antifreeze should have cleaned the engine nicely by now.

By the way, I do believe the drain 'plug' is actually a nipple-nut combination that is located right beside the cat converter and just behind (looking from front) the engine mounts. What puzzles me is why this drain (I'm pretty sure it must be) is located apparently pretty high up on the engine.... I would have thought it would be lower down. But I guess the water chanels in the block are only in the top part of block where the cylinders are.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz