A4 TDI - Adjusting Timing

I've just got my VAG-COM and I can now see that my timing is out. It's quite severely retarded, but I'm not getting a smoky exhaust or anything, I'd still like to sort it out though.
Is there a quick and dirty way to do this? I'd rather not have to take the whole front of the car off, like the haynes manual seems to want me to do!
Anyone got any pointers? It's a 1998 A4 TDI. Help!!