Aircondition

Hi

My Aircondition (Automatic Climate Control) in my 1996 A6 does not make any cool air. The compressor is running which, to me, indicates that there is cooling liquid in the system, otherwise the compressor should not be activated.

What could prevent the system from cooling other than missing cooling liquid? Defective compressor or ??

The system reports "No-Errors" in the diagnostic readout.

Rgds Jens

Reply to
Jens

Re-Gas, Should be done every 3 years..

hth

Reply to
Ronny

I don't understand the re-gas every 3 years comment.

The typical automotive air-conditioning system is a low-maintenance affair. About all you need to is run the system for about 10 minutes once a month (even in winter) to circulate the refrigerant and the small amount of lubricant it carries. The refrigerant (environmentally friendly R134A has been in use since 1996) will last indefinitely barring a leak in the system.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

No, a small leakeage is to be expected. I've just had my A3 regassed- it's almost 7 years old- and the difference is amazing- the aircon still worked, but it's a lot colder now, and other owners have had the same experience. However, I don't think this is the problem here, because, as the OP states, the compressor won't run if there's too little refigerant.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The problem is it needs a re-gas, the car is 10 yrs old, and some leaking is inevitable, the reason most people re-gas older cars is it's cheaper than getting the slight leak fixed, I would rather pay £40 to re-gas a car every year then £1000 for a strip down and all new seals/compressor etc.

This is the reason they went to CFC free refrigerant, cars are not like your fridge at home, they have moving parts and drivers who don't run there system once a month like what is recommended in the their handbooks :)

You are right though, a sealed car Air-con system should never need re-gassing in a ideal world..

I imagine the OP is just getting low on gas, not enough to trip the system, but enough to not cool the air properly.

Reply to
Ronny

Gotcha, thanks!

Reply to
Curtis Newton

I regassed my '96 A4 and it didnt help at all. If you need a new compressor Jens, check out OTOteile.de. They have the same factory new compressors as the Audi dealer at 1/3 the price. I had to replace the compressors in both my Audi's (lucky me :( ) and saved a small fortune by doing it myself.

Jone T.

'96 A4 Avant 1.8T '02 A6 Avant 1.9TDI

Reply to
Jone T.

Thanks for the info about cheaper parts.

In my case, they re-Gas'ed the system and it works OK (for now!)

I'll keep an eye on the functionallity in order to detect any sign of a leakage.

My former Audi was working fine for 5 years (after a evaporator-replacemnent) until the compressor broke down. Then it worked fine for another 3 years until I sold it (and is probably still working).

Rgds

Jens

Reply to
Jens

Reply to
tockeyhockey

skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Audi cars need visits at the workshop now and then. The reason for driving an Audi is that BETWEEN the workshop visits, its a wonderful car :-)

/Jens

Reply to
Jens

How does one 're-gas'? I can buy a recharging cannister, but on my 1996 A4, I cannot find the charging nipple. On my previous Chevy Lumina the charging point was easily accessible from the wheel well, and one charge in spring kept me cool all year. Can anyone help me with this? Jazz (Toronto, Canada) Where are you guys?

Reply to
Aiuto