ANT INVASION - HELP!!

My A4 has been invaded by ants. Any ideas how to combat them? I started to see just two or three of them on the door frame outside the rubber and I thought it was just a coincidence and that they wouldn't find anything to
eat and would go away. That was some 4 weeks ago. Now, I've started to see them in increasingly bigger numbers. I never left any windows or doors open for longer than a few secs, but I can now find them even inside on the dash board where it meets the air slot!
I don't particularly fancy the idea of using any pesticide inside the car, so can you think of any better solutions? I am afraid they must be wood ants and that they might be eating away God knows what! One thing is certain and that is they must be eating something as they are in perfect vigour, those little pricks.
Always something going on, so I'm never bored with my Audi ;)
JP Roberts

open
dash
ants
and
Luckily it is not a Morgan.

see
car,
those
what kinda insect is a Morgan........
Er
Eric, It's a British car manufacturer - a "Moggie" was the only car that my uncle ever owned that succumed to dryrot (the door fell off). Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
JP, That's the first time I've heard of that one - maybe you cheesed off someone enough to go to one of those Anarchy sites on the web that give instructions on how to wreak havoc with your enemies? Sugared pop would result in such an infestation - but wood ants? Hmm, maybe they poured Lemon Pledge on the car? The ants will follow a scent trail to home base - follow one and see where it goes - they may be nesting in the debris trapped near the heater core or something. The best bet, provided that you don't have pets or kids (hmmmm.....kid puts peanut butter and jam sandwich bits down the defroster vents combo???) get some of those round ant poison dispensers from Black Flag or something - put it where the ants are - they'll all die in a week or so - the best part: the assembled corpses won't stink up your ride like a dead mouse or rat would (don't ask how I know). If you don't want to go that route....then lure them out of the car with a nice Louis XIV hutch in your garage. I doubt that they would eat wires...but then again chips are made from sand.....uhhhhohhhh....did you Chip your car with an oak chip? Marcel is right, although the pre-WWII Audis were also made with formed plywood bodies, I'm sure they haven't gone totally retro (first the grille, now with rust-proof OSB bodies?) Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - never stationary enough for vermin 1980 Audi 5k - survived a red squirrel onslaught 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - '62 purchased with mice in the seats and exhaust - fired out a mouse nest and dead inhabitant when first run. (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

open
dash
ants
and

Not sure how to combat them - I guess follow Steve's advice, but the first thing you need to find out is WHY they came into the car in the first place. They didn't just show up for no reason. Either there's food somewhere, or something sweet, or a piece of fruit or dead animal that you ran over and it's stuck somewhere under the car, under the hood, or inside the cabin. If you don't remove it, they'll keep coming back no matter how many times you try to kill them.
Check your engine air intake ducts and filter as well as the pollen filter, too.
Cheers,
Pete

open
dash
ants
and
put the car in a garage or lock up and run the engine for a while. The carbon monoxide will dispose of them.
Eric
In South Africa where I live we buy an Anttrap and place it where the ants frequent. They eat and carry the poison to their nests where they die and also poison the nest. Takes about two weeks and they are gone.
Hope it helps.

open
dash
ants
and

I guess our "Anttrap" is the same stuff Steve mentioned when he said "get some of those round ant poison dispensers from Black Flag or something - put it where the ants are - they'll all die in a week or so"
Closin doors and windows is certainly not good enough to keep ants out. They find their way through the smallest gap (as I can regularly see in our house).
I have heart of ants in the strangest places, including a nest in my bosses scanner near the LED which was alway on or inside those PIR sensors of domestic alarms (apperently a frequeny reason for false alarms).
Christoph
--
Important: Emails sent to me which contain my full name
in the "to:" or "cc:" field will bypass my spam filter.

Thank you all for your solutions and comments, some of them really original and funny I must say; I'll let you know how it all ends.
JP Roberts
P.S.: I would have never suspected ants had the remotest interest in driving, except for driving me mad now, that is.

open
dash
ants
and

open
dash
ants
and
try to convey to Jonesy that he and his family can no longer take up residence in your vehilce.