Any Ideas?

Hey guys n gals

This group seems quite quiet, so I hope someone can help me...

I have a 1990 Mazda Mx5 (Miata / Eunos Roadster), and I'm looking to modify it slightly. Nothing major, maybe just to give it a bit more go..... I've put in a K&N Air filter, but thats about it... Anyone have any ideas what I could do? Or even just aesthetic changes, like for looks...

Thanks in advance, EM.

Reply to
Eman Mean

That is because nowadays we just let the people promoting purple Miatas talk.

Advance your timing. Keep an ear out for knock. See miata.net for instructions.

Other engine items (cold air, exhaust, header, ...) are quite costly for minimal gains. Better save for forced induction.

Tires Toyo T1-S Proxes or Yoko ES 100.

Sway bars. racingbeat.com

rspeed.net

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Not to hijack his thread, but it's time for upgrading my tires. Proxes or Falken Azenis (the latter since I auto-X) are the leading candidates. Where are the best prices? TireRack carries neither.

thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

Instead of wasting money on trivial power mods (very expensive for minmal gain), use the power you have now by keeping the engine between

4000 and 7000 rpm.

Your money is better spent on a track school, tires, alignment, shocks, and swaybars. If you still have money burning a hole in your pocket after upgrading the suspension and learning how to use what you have, the Loch Stewart cold air intake is worth a couple of hp. Any decent catback exhaust will add 3 to 5 more. That's about it, short of turbo- or supercharging.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Leon, you *know* that it's called "Merlot Mica", which sounds infinitely cooler than..."white".

Reply to
tooloud

Try this link - Toyos are on sale now:

Azenises I found cheapest from Vulcan:

Although most popular sizes are on 2 week backorder since spring weather showed up.

By the way - Does anyone use Bridgestone Potenzas S-03 ? Are they comparable to Toyos T1-S?

Regards, Kempi

01' silver,IL
Reply to
Kempi

Does anyone have any experience with these guys? I'm long overdue on a new set of T1-Ss and they seem to have the best price by far ($77 each).

Reply to
tooloud

Grip is reportedly about the same, but feel is different. The S-03 is 4 lb heavier (195/50-15) and much stiffer--better turn in, worse ride, allegedly noisy but I haven't used them on my car.

I am not interested in any tire that doesn't ride as well as my Toyos. I guess that doesn't leave me much choice... :-)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

"*Sounds* cooler?" How superficial can you get?

Anyway if you go with the facts, white is without doubt the coolest stock Miata color. White reflects colors of *all* wave lengths, absorbing the least. White Miatas with discrete accents of chrome reflect even more! Coolissimo! :))

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Sure, white is cool looking, but is still one of the slowest stock colors available.

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

Thanks for the ref on the Toyos!

DonB

Reply to
DonB

The Falken Azenis is a very grippy tire both in the wet and dry and it's quite a good value but, it's far from 'smooth riding' . With the T1s down to $75 / tire (in 195/55/14) it seems pretty hard to beat from what I've heard. Might be a bit imprecise, from what I've heard, in autocross. For now I've purchased a second set of wheels and use my Azenis (which were too rough riding in daily use for my wife's tastes as a passenger) for autocross and purchased a decent mileage, smooth riding tire with good break-away characteristics for daily use (Brigestone Eager).

Good luck, Chris

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Leon,

Aren't you an engineer? Don't you know that white is slower than other colors? Red, of course, is the fastest but white is at the bottom of the scale (for non-clearcoated Miatas).

Tom

92 Red
Reply to
Tom Howlin

Ditto! Still deciding. Next stop: miata.net. Oy.

Reply to
Dave

Yes.

No.

White is fastest. Color differences between Miata speeds are due to momentum exchange with photons. The more photons are reflected the higher the photon drive. White Miatas reflect all photons and are therefore fastest. Red Miatas only reflect red photons well. In addition, red photons have the least energy. Blue Miatas are better than red, since the photons they reflect have more energy, but none are as good as white.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Nope, you've got it all wrong (well, you are an engineer). White reflects all visible light, dispersing energy in doing so. Darker colors abord the light, thus retaining the energy associated with light. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! Off topic, how many miles did you have on the supercharger before you decided to re-engineer it? Did it go the 100K as advertised? Is the JR supercharger disappearing from the scene (I seem to have heard that somewhere or at least that they were experiencing some financial difficulties but I could be full of it).

Tom

92 Red >
Reply to
Tom Howlin

I had exactly 100 kmi when the bearings went. Had to replace the entire unit.

Have not heard anything myself. I would not know what difficulties they would have; they are surely making a big profit percentage on each one they build, from mostly standard components.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen