Audi 2.5TDi 5-cylinder 115bhp and 140bhp - differences?

Just been on the phone to a bloke selling an Audi A6 2.5TDI, and asked him whether it was the 115 or 140bhp version, and he said he didn't honestly know, but he thinks he remembers the guy he bought it from saying that it
was originally 115, but the two engines were identical and a 115bhp version could be chipped and made up to 140bhp and it would be identical to the stock 140bhp engine.
He's not swearing by this - just saying that as far as he can remember, that's what the previous owner said, and had had it chipped to 140bhp.
Just wondering if this is the case.
As an aside, he also said that at no point has it ever felt underpowered, though of course that's very subjective.
Peter

version
Hi Peter
For fear of not giving a technical response, did it have an intercooler?
I can't be certain, but as I recall, the low blow versions of the Audi donk - like their Ford, Vauxhall and PSA counterparts - lack the intercooler as a visual difference.
Hope that helps!
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

intercooler
I don't think either of them has an intercooler.
The best way to tell is via the engine code, which should be on the Vehicle Registration Document even if you can't read the code from the block. The 115 bhp is ABP or AAT. The 140 bhp is code AEL.
The 140 bhp version has the red i on the end of the tailgate badge - though obviously you can't rely on that for accuracy.
The 140 bhp engine is excellent in an old-fashioned Audi 5-cylinder robust way. I haven't driven a 115 but I'd say it was worth going for the more powerful option.
HTH
Jonathan