Audi 80 Automatic

Hi,
I have just purchased a 86 Audi 80 Auto. I understand these gearboxes are susceptible to seal failure resulting in damage to the final drive gears.
Can anyone give me more info, what to look out for, should i change the seals now, how many miles before the problem starts??
I got th transmission serviced and they overfilled it by about 300-400mls is this bad?
Thanks.
The problem is that the seal between the transmission and differential start to leak and the gear oil in the differential starts to mix with the transmission fluid. Eventually the oil in the differential will leak out so that there is no longer any lubication to the differential. You will start to hear a whinning sound once the car start moving.

I have had this happen to me. Fried the differiential at 75,000 miles. The best thing to do is check the fluid to see if it is low. There is a plug under the driver side axle shaft. If it is low fill it. If your tranny fluid is black then change the seal. If it is fried get one from the junk yard it's not worth a new one.