Audi 80

Are these cars good? They seem to be your typical German autobahn stormer that will clock up huge mileages before being shagged out. Should I just avoid the 1.6? I've heard it's engine is just too small for the car. I quite fancy the 2.0L. Anyone any idea what kind of fuel consumption can be expected from this? As an aside, is the engine non interference?

Reply to
gazzafield

1.6 is slow, the 2.0 is fine, 35ish to the gallon. It can interfere but doesn't tend to. If you change the cambelt change the tensioner at the same time.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

1.9 is the best ( TDI that is ). 52 mpg and bulletproof.

They are robust and well thought out regarding maintenance. Doing brakes / suspension is uncomplicated. They are not the best handling cars because the engine is way out front. They aren't loaded with features unless you find a V6 or something.

The thing to beware of is the insurance is very high. Unfairly high IMO

I got up to 260000 miles in my 93 TDI and it was still mint.

HTH

Reply to
Ebodscki

My dad has a 1993 (K) and never had any problems and still going strong on the original battery.

Reply to
Mark