Audi A6 1996/7 Autobox question.

Hi again, Recently bought this car, with a 1.8 auto, and I knew it was not going to be a quick car. However, the box feels quite slushy and the engine revs quite high on even moderate acceleration,
completely unlike my previous 190E Merc with a 2.0 litre engine. Is this normal, do you think? Also, I can't find a handbook, any ideas where it may be hidden, or where I can get a replacement? Sorry to only ask questions rather than help anyone else, but I would be grateful for any help. Nev