Timing belt on 1996 Audi A6 (V6 - 2.6 litres) - anyone done one?

Having recently bought one such, it appears the main dealer service history has left out a timing belt change at the recommended 180,000 mles. Has anyone here done one of these? What is the degree of difficulty in comparison to, say, a 5-cylinder Audi 100?

Any comments would be appreciated so I can decide whether to do it myself or pass it on to my trusted mechanic at £35/hour.

Reply to
John Prendergast

I haven't done one but it is take the front end of the car off and the job is straightforward. 2.2 hours is the quoted time 1.3 for the straight four.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The straight fours dead easy & you don't need to remove the front end. The v6 needs the front end removing & it really needs the tools. There are plenty of US websites with pictures e.g.

DuncanWood

Ah, those dreaded words every home mechanic fears: "special tool required".

Reply to
John Prendergast

If you do a trawl of the Audi sites there's instructions on how to make your own. Or premiertools.co.uk used to sell them.

Reply to
DuncanWood

2.2 hours? jesus it will take you that to whip the front bumper off, The book time from my garage is 4-6 hours on my 2.6 v6 - Audi dealer will charge you around £400 to change a cam belt,

If you can do my cam belt in 2.2 hours ill pay you £100 an hour and supply the cambelt :)

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

I didn't say 2.2 hours, autodata 2k4 did. I thought it unrealistic too, unless you do them often.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

So you dont wanna do my cam belt change then :(

Reply to
Ronny

You don't /have/ to take the front end off, but unless you've done a few you'll want to.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Take a look here m8 -:

lots of good info there. I have both a 5 and 6 cyl audi - on the 5 cylinder it is a doddle to do timing belt - you have probably found already there is no haynes manual for the 2.6 V6 :-(

Reply to
Simon G