Autobox Question

Hi,

Piglet won't change down, and changing up seems to be delayed. Apart from the obvious fluid check, is there anything it might be? I can't check the level as I;ve waited for it to go cold...and now it's dark!?!

EP90 leak in t/fer is quite bad, could this have an impact? Kickdown cable is not snagged anywhere obvious. Braking is getting interesting as the box isn;t changing down until I've almost stopped.

Fluid leak on rear of sump of autobox also - so I suspect losing ATF.

Only *annoying* thing is he now goes like a rocket....however it;s not good for my fuel economy I guess ;-) 40mph in 1st

Reply to
The Neffalump

On or around Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:16:44 +0000 (UTC), "The Neffalump" enlightened us thusly:

sounds like a fluid problem. don't overfill it more than a tad, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If Piglet has an electronically controlled trans it might be a defective speed sensor.

Reply to
EMB

Hello, Austin!

I went and bought some ATF, check the level - all fine :(

*BUT* - the ATF in there is not quite as red as it should be and it smells funny. I suspect it's cooked (6000rpm in 1st low on the offroad course anyone?). Wil it do any harm for a few days until I can find someone to drain and refill it for me?
Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Fix it *now* and don't drive it - cooked ATF kills friction linings really quickly.

Reply to
EMB

AA called out. AA man annoyed as he cannot fix or tow. They've called out a full lift truck now.

Oh well.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

If the fluid is brown in colour then this brown colour is normally caused by small bits of friction lining material suspended in the oil. This has a number of effects -

All moving surfaces are now being "lubricated" by an oil and friction material mix. All the hydraulic valves that do important things such as selecting which gear you should be in will develop a reluctance to move causing odd gear shift patterns. The governor and it's O rings on the back of the box don't move as they should and sometimes the O rings disintegrate. (watch for it sticking in first gear when cold).

Draining and refilling will offer a temporary fix but if the friction linings have started to disintegrate it's probably just a matter of time... watch for any reluctance to start moving forward or a lack of engine braking (you think an auto has a lack of engine braking until the C clutch packs in, then you REALLY know what no engine braking means !).

It is possible, though unlikely, that the EP90 from the xfer case has migrated into the gearbox of course. This may also explain the smell and colour. But to do that it'd have to get past two oil seals.

I can't help but ask... why the bloody hell were you doing 6000 RPM in

1st low in an automatic on an off road course ? The only time you should select 1st manually is for engine braking when you're going down hill. If you need to hit 6000 RPM going down hill the last thing you need is engine braking ! What you need is a parachute.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Dave,

Thanks.....oh and the 1st low at that rpm was caused by me not being to chage the gear....as I was er....not wearing suitable clothing for changing gear ;-)

I will have a go at my co-driver.

My t/fer box IS leaking heavily however.....

Reply to
The Neffalump

Yep, make sure he or she understands that their duties include navigation, running around hill sides with winch ropes and ground anchors (should they have managed to get you stuck), supplying the driver with cold drinks/hot drinks, mars bars and bacon sandwiches and, most important of all, taking the blame when it all goes horribly wrong :-)

Could be that the seal got damaged when the xfer box was fitted to the back of the gearbox. It can be a pig of a job to do when you're underneath the motor - it's really easy to catch the oil seal with the end of the output shaft as you move the xfer box into place.

EP90 would certainly be an explanation for the colour and the smell, plus the heavier oil would play havoc with the pressures in the hydraulic logic which would give some interesting effects in the gear shift patterns.

You going to Belgium this year ?

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

you'd have thought they would have taken gear changes into account when they designed them 400 years ago I mean how did they change gear on the horse

Andy -- SWB Series 2a ( dressed as a 3) "Bruce" It's big, it's mean it's really, really green

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

ATF drained.

Black.

Stinks of EP90.

Dave wins a badge.

Reply to
The Neffalump

On or around Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:09:07 +0000 (UTC), "Neil Brownlee" enlightened us thusly:

you *can* tow it. main box in park and transfer box in neutral. assuming you have a transfer box with a neutral.

the objection to towing autos is that the propshaft will turn the back end of the box, which since it's not running will not be properly lubed. Same applies to pump-lubed manuals such as the LT77 and R380.

however, by putting the T-box in neutral, your props don't transmit movement to the main box, and putting it in park just gaurantees that it can't turn.

the T-box is splash lubed anyway, so won't come to any harm particularly in neutral and not transmitting power.

Or so I understand it. doesn't work on other autobox vehicles with no transfer box, of course.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

And for those new to Landrover who don't know what EP90 smells like.... Cats Pee.

In this case no doubt mixed with burnt auto fluid... hot stinky smelly cats pee....OHHHH... sell it ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Dave,

Yeah - so it's me with the wrecked nerves hoping my autobox will be sorted. If not - we go in Kanga.....

Reply to
The Neffalump