Audi Reliability Unacceptable by US Standards

Once again, Audis are full of fail.

Audi just cannot seem to pull their head out of their arse when it comes to reliability. American cars are no great shakes either, seems the Japanese locked away the secrets when Deming taught them how to do it.

Mike G Cornell

I had a '95 and a '98 A6QAvant. Put over 140K miles on each. Neither ever left me stranded and neither required expensive repairs.

But my current 2003 A6QAvant has left me stranded twice! and is costing me a fortune to maintain. It will be my last Audi.

Bob

Reply to
eBob.com

On that same page, 19% of consumers voted that they don't value CR car rankings at all.

My experience:

1998 Toyota Tercel - Defective carburetor and ECU design (no fix possible), wrong belt ratio on AC, ECU wiring that kinks on deceleration, defective valve stem oil seals, defective transmission synchronizers, paper head gasket, defective air cleaner housing, and stuck throttle (frayed). 1997 Honda Civic HX - Awesome. Only had to replace a stuck throttle cable (had wrong grease). 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid - Two wheel bolts were soft and broke, electrical problems, defective ECU software (no fix possible), defective TCU software, defective engine sensors, engine doesn't restart (no fix possible), high throttle causes MIL for misfiring (no fix possible), and windshield shattered while driving slowly over a speed bump. Returned for a refund under CA lemon laws. 2007 Audi A3 3.2 - Very good. Distorted windshield and problems with the roof trim. Only out-of-warranty defect so far is sagging firewall insulation.
Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

52% said Highly 27% said Somewhat and 19% said Not at all

What was the point you were hoping to make by that? That the other

81% are wrong?
Reply to
Mike G Cornell

It means that nearly 1 in 5 people would not believe that German cars are bad only because CR says so. I'm one of them. CR started out as a very scientific magazine but they've dumbed it down and slashed the budget so far that their reports are often pointless, flawed, or misleading. The in-depth analysis and validation is long gone.

My only gripe about my Audi is that the Navi/Bose sound system is not worthy of being used to wipe an ass. Other than that, it's one of the most reliable cars I've owned and it's more fun to drive than anything CR would like.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

If you have one and you're happy with it, then perhaps you're one of the 20% who is not having problems?

Personally I put a lot of value in CR's reliability assessments, only because if I look up the models I've owned over the last 15 years, and think of the things that have gone wrong here and there, I can look at their charts of what is a known troublespot on each car (red and black circle charts) and their surveys seem to have nailed it every time. I have no reason to believe that has changed. As far as their reviews / writing etc I find it to be good, not great.

Overall they do seem to be the best source of reliability info, and I think they know that auto reliability and related is a big reason folks look to their magazine, so I don't know why they would allow themself to slip in such a critical area.

As far as car brands, I went Lexus with my latest car and I'm thrilled.

Reply to
Mike G Cornell

Dear all,

I have had a BMW 323i 1986 and I never had a problem with it and I went on the Autobahns now and then and could see why this car is superior. The perfect young executive car (for a man being single, so all these Swiss girls who look when drifting on the snow) showing that he has taste for a real sports car.

I am now the owner of an 1994 Audi 80 1.9 TDi. WE have reached 260 000 km now. More like the stettled down father car (being now director if not a partner), much more bourgeois but still handling like a sports car, never failed me in roundabouts at almost any speed. This car still makes 6.2 L / 100 km (45 mpg) and will reach half a million kilometers. Very reliable car with sound engine not even rusted.

Even a recently tested Saab 9-3 was not as good as the Audi 80 and you could see they were made on the same chassis as the Opel Ohmega (Cadillac CTS in the USA). not rigid enough. Even an Alfa Romeo is now a much better car than the Saab.

Could not do the same with any Ford or GMC cars even of European designs.

As far as the Infinity G20 is concerned, it is only a Nissan Primera in Europe and this car is quite inferior to the Opel Ohmega or Ford Mondeo.

As far as the first entry Accura is concerned, it is the Honda Accord in Europe and again it does not ride as nicely as Peugeot 406 or Renault Laguna.

Audi offers the A4 and S4 which are still very serious cars and will not fail you unless you take that bad supercharged Audi V6 engine which seems a new entry with serious mishaps. To build a bad reputation over Audi full line of products just because of the problems of that new car is just not rational.

Anyway, I am very disappointed by the importance given to consummers reports which are not scientific.

I would dare say that only 19 % of United-Statians are true and all the others are wrong.

In that report, they say that the Nissan Versa has a very good reputation in its trunk version but bad reputation in hatchback, Come on, this shows quite clearly that people are not very objective. By the way the Nissan Versa is a Renault Clio.

Bests,

LHR

Reply to
laurentien

Well, I think that you should also look for the reports produced in Europe too.

You will then get a good idea of the car reliabilities trying to filter all propaganda that seems to be going on in America, that seems to overvalue the Japanese cars and try to push US made cars which are still so poor.

I ave owned a Mazda 323 1988 where the gearbox has broken down prematurely and the garage did not want to honor the warrantee. The car went well for 6 years and then started to fall apart.

I know someone who owned a Mazda 626 1990 that was working well for seven years and then collapsed into a wreck.

I have owned a Toyota Corolla SR5 1985 and this car has had a large number of fails including, a failed gaz meter, a water pump which was difficult to replace since we had to find the right month, no road holding, etc.

My experience with Japanese cars was that they are overestimated.

Hopefully, Chrysler will start making products from the Alfa Romeo range, being now closer to Audis. Anyway, FIAT have put Chrysler under the same umbrella than Lancia with a French director, i-e they will have to make similar cars. One can expect at least some real sportiness.

LHR

Reply to
laurentien

If someone told me Audi once made a reliable car I would have no problems believing it. One of the best cars I ever owned was a mid

1980's BMW.

It just seems many of these german makes lost their reliability focus.

Reply to
Mike G Cornell

So, Mike and Anonymouse "David", what kind of cars do you drive? Front wheel drive rice burners? You would shit your pants if you drove a real car like my RS6 or any of the M machines BMW offers, or any of the AMGs MB offers.

Dave LaCourse

03 Audi RS6
Reply to
D. LaCourse

You will find that, on average, (although you may be lucky), that the newer cars get, the less reliable they will become as they get older. I doubt very much a new Audi will be as reliable as the ones you have had. I used to work for VAG, I do know.

Actually, my BMW has more torque (stock, I know yours is modified) than your RS6, but less power. It also does twice the m.p.g than your RS6, with half of the pollution.

Your RS6 comes as four wheel drive and does not lose traction so easily. I think you would find my BMW more difficult to control than your RS6 when driven hard.

Yes, those of us with problems (sometimes self-perceived), do tend to intimidate others, or be more assertive than needed, just as you are now.

regards

David

Reply to
David

A stock (U.S.) RS6 comes with 450bhp and 415 lb-ft of torgue avail from

1950 - 5600 rpms. It's all wheel drive (not 4 wheel drive) allows it to perform just as well in the rain as in dry (with proper tires). The first year I owned my RS6 (I bought it in Oct 2003) I went through the winter in New England without snows. Quattro would allow me to go just about anywhere, including a neighbor's steep driveway, in snow. However, with its stock performance tires, it could not stop in snow. The next season I installed a set of Hakkapeliitta snow and found that not only could I go just about anywhere, but I could stop fairly well also.

I have owned Quattros from the mid 80s until present. Some of the more sophisticated ones, 2.7 L turbo 1990 A6 Avant, 1994 S4, 2000 A6 4.2. I can tell you that Audi's 5 cylinder turbo and the 4.2L V8 are some of the finest engines ever built. My #2 grandson sill drives my S4, while his brother drives a 2000 S4, and their father drives my 2000 A6 4.2. Other than normal wear and tear item, all the cars have performed flawlessly.

I am looking at the latest iteration of the A8. I have driven it and it is a wonderful car.

Dave

Reply to
D. LaCourse

Forgot to add:

For years I taught high performance driving to cops and defensive driving to fleet drivers. I've driven BMWs at their limit as well as many other cars including American made, front wheel, rear wheel, 4 wheel, and all wheel drive at the track. I've been to several driving schools including Bob Bodurant's and several Audi Hands On. I drove the R8 at Pocono Raceway a few years ago. I am not a neophyte when it comes to driving high performance automobiles.

Dave

Reply to
D. LaCourse

Yes, I know. My BMW is 286 hp and 428lb-ft at 2,000 rpms, but it is only a 3 litre diesel. On the track, your RS6 would 100% beat my car, no problem. It is faster, and, more predictable. But, my car would provide more moments of AAARRRRRGGGHHH shit....

Mine is awful in the snow. I would leave it at home. Luckily we do not get much snow here.

I do not think it would be as reliable as Audis were in the past.

The last Audi I had was built by Quattro Gmbh in Germany, just as your RS6, but in 2005. The build quality was dreadful, the paint finish was worse than a Kia, and the ground points under the hood were corroded after 1 month. Regularly needed looking at by the Audi dealership. I hope yours is better built. I won't have another.

The first one was built by Audi in Hungary, and was much, much better quality, from the interior mirror to the key fob. I have had two quattros, but they were the Haldex flavour, not the Torsen you have.

If a vehicle has four wheels, and they are all driven at the same time, what is the difference between 4 wheel drive, and all wheel drive ?

Regards

David

Reply to
David

Yes, we all know. Many times you have told us.

David

Reply to
David

Diesel grunt! Audi, as you may know, is constantly upgrading their diesel race cars. One thing I can not understand is that diesel fuel, requiring less refining than gasoline, costs a lot more than gas, at least here in the States.

I don't see why I wouldn't. I trust Audi. Over the years I have had very little trouble with any of their products, and I don't see why it should change.

You must be in Europe somewhere. I think there is a big difference between Euro and U.S. cars. I don't know of anyone ever having trouble with paint.

Google it.

Dave (the other David)

d;o)

Reply to
D. LaCourse

In message , D. LaCourse writes

Didn't you know that diesel was the same as heating oil, making it a much more sought after product than petrol which is only used in cars. Diesel is not only used in a lot of cars but most other types of transportation as well.

Reply to
Clive

Well, it is not exacty the same as heating oil, but it does require a helluva lot less refining than gasoline. And, yes, I am aware of its many uses - trains, boats, trucks, cars, etc. It still does not explain why it is more expensive. However a quick google reveals this:

Ta da! Question answered and it is as I thought it might be: supply and demand.

Dave

Reply to
D. LaCourse

In message , D. LaCourse writes

Only applies in America most of the rest of the world taxes diesel fuel lighter than petrol but in the UK the taxes are the same.

Reply to
Clive

You saw, by the article, Clive, that the taxes on diesel if far greater than gasoline. The government logic is that diesel is used by companies (RR, trucks, busses, etc), while gasoline is used by Joe Citizen. Don't want to tax him, now, do we? d;o)

The U.S. is in one helluva mess right now. News today is that the Fed is monitizing another $600 billion of our debt. That's in addition to the over $1 TRILLION we have already monitized. We are in deep doodoo. This tax and spend way of thinking has got to come to a screaching halt. Soon!

Have a good one, Clive. I have visited your country several times and it is very lovely. My wife and I have friends that just retired and have moved to England. Perhaps they know something we don't know. d;o(

Dave

Reply to
D. LaCourse