Miata reliability

Hello,

i'm thinking of buying a used miata. 8 - 10 years old with low miles. I've only bought Toyotas and hondas the last 20 years or so. i'm used to cars lasting until 150 - 200k miles with no major problems. I've read that Miatas longterm reliability is really good too. Just wondering how these cars are holding up from 100 - 200k.

Thanks

Reply to
Don Moore

Well, my Miata is almost 16 years old and has around 107,000 on her so far. With proper maintenance and timely oil changes, I expect her to last for

250,000+ miles with no major problems. One of our local club members has over that on his 1991 and has had NO major repairs - just normal maintenance.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Miata.net used to have a "checklist" of items to inspect before buying a used Miata. I found it useful.

Best of luck.

Reply to
Marc

Reliability is excellent but the less obvious beauty is simplicity design and manufacture. There's between little and nothing that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing myself on these cars. It's no small thing that lots of help is readily available here and on miata.net. Do some browsing there, I think you'll like it.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo
1991 automatic with 260K miles. Still running strong with nothing more than scheduled timing belt repl. & regular tune-ups & oil changes. Oil pressure is about 30lbs psi at warm idle, & 60lbs at 3,500rpm. Very close readings to an engine w/ 5K miles I'd say. Still doesn't smoke or use a drop of oil. Someone else mentioned how easy it is to work on these cars. It's a mechanics dream. I actually replaced my timing belt in the parking lot where I work. Took about 2hrs tops. Plug wires are a 5 min. job. If you like tinkering with your car yourself, you will LOVE the Miata. GO FOR IT!
Reply to
David

Thanks everyone for responding. That miata.net is a nice site. I'll be back after I find a nice one.

Reply to
Don Moore

that is great to hear. i am curious to know what maintenance, if any, you have done for the automatic transmission. thanks.

Reply to
Christopher Muto