2004 Audi: US -> Canada

Hey all, just writing to see if anyone has experience with importing an Audi from the US to Canada. I'm looking at a 2004 S4, and by all acounts, (primarily government regulations, and Audi from a warranty perspective), it seems like a 'go', but I'd like any real world feedback.

Thanks, Darren

Reply to
Darren

Darren, Canada Customs has a decent amount of stuff on their web site, as does the Registrar of Imported Vehicles - if the car was available in Canada when it was new, then it will probably be allowed in, subject to any modifications that were done to satisfy Canadian regs. You can find a list of banned vehicles at:

- Registrar of Imported Vehicles. Most importantly, contact US Customs well in advance and find out what they will need - when I brought my '62 DKW out they needed a 72 hour advance notice with the original documentation for the car. Don't forget to contact US Customs - they can fine you, and confiscate the car, and your rig if you're trailering it. It's always best to talk to a live person instead of just reading stuff on the net. Be prepared to pay for things like AC tax (~$100?), etc. etc. when you get to Canada. Be thankful it's not coming from overseas - you'd need to get it washed - so what? See:
Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - daily driver to be replaced by 1995.5 urS6 Avant when I am allowed to import one 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - both from the US (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

Any idea if the instrument cluster would have to be replaced considering that the US versions already have km/h scale on the speedometer (alas very small font in addition to the big mph font), and the odometer display can be changed from miles to km with VAG-COM?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Pete, I doubt that the change of the instrument cluster would be required. But then again.... It would be best to contact the Registrar and ask whether the vehicle you plan on importing needs any mods or can be brought in as-is. Regards, Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - both US imports with MPH on the speedo - no worries about speeding, though (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

No fears there..the only normal requirements (as I've been lucky to import before, just not an Audi), are typically daytime running lights and the safety child hooks for the back. I'm covered with both of those I believe.

Darren

Reply to
Darren