Clatter on A4 at less than 2500 revs

All,
Any thoughts? Just this morning, my A4 1.8t has developed a clatter when the engine is revving lower than about 2500 revs. No other symptoms - goes
fine, although I just turned around and came back home!
Sounds like a gearbox type noise, but open to suggestions.... Sounds like a diesel at low revs.
67000 miles - full Audi service schedule etc.
Alex
Alex Lane wrote:

Hi, see thread "A4 engine noise", around about the 15 of August, for a reply (mine) that might help /Robert

Oil was fine (some of the suggestions), so called out RAC.
Looks like the cam belt is quite loose (can't be right - thought Audi cars corrected this automatically?).
Car towed into Audi today - will let you know the outcome, but sounds pricey...!
Alex
It was the cambelt tensioner - the result was a bill for 580 from Audi. Great.
Still - at least no further damage to the engine!
Alex

It sure sounded like a cam belt tensioner from here. Hopefully you didn't bend any valve stems or crater a piston crown...
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:40:18 +0100, "Alex Lane"

Re: Re: Clatter on A4 at less than 2500 revs
Tue Aug 26 2003 10:32 am
> Oil was fine (some of the suggestions), so called out RAC. > > Looks like the cam belt is quite loose (can't be right - thought Audi cars > corrected this automatically?). > > Car towed into Audi today - will let you know the outcome, but sounds > pricey...! Probably the cambelt tensioner came loose. There is an updated design for this condition.
--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org
Yea, that's what's happened to mine. Fitted the revised parts this morning. Back on the road !!! Rgds Alec
message toalt.autos.audi on Tue Aug 26 2003 10:32 am

Alec wrote:

Glad to hear the problem is fixed without major money paid.
Could you pls post model year of your car as well as part number of revised tensioner (and/or when the revised part was issued, if you happen to know).
Am very curious to figure out from what time the factory started using the revised tensioner in regular assembly - before or after my car was made . . .
/Robert
Its a 1998 1.8T AEB. The slightly annoying thing is that when the main dealer replaced the timing belt, about 14 months/35K miles ago that is all he did. No recommendations about revised parts !!! This time I decided to get my hands dirty, save 400, and fit the latest parts. The AEB is now being fitted with the tensioner from the non-turbo 1.8 I think..
Tensioner 058 109 479 B Roller 058 109 243 C Belt 153 teeth 058 109 119 C
Rgds Alec

Aaak! Get your timing belt changed out after 65k. I have a '99 A4 1.8T and the timing belt broke [while driving on freeway no less!] at 78k. This is not uncommon if you have been following posts here - even though Audi recommends change at 105k.
Learn from the experience and mistake of others - please! My car has not been the same since!
Ab