Clatter on A4 at less than 2500 revs

All,

Any thoughts? Just this morning, my A4 1.8t has developed a clatter when the engine is revving lower than about 2500 revs. No other symptoms - goes fine, although I just turned around and came back home!

Sounds like a gearbox type noise, but open to suggestions.... Sounds like a diesel at low revs.

67000 miles - full Audi service schedule etc.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Lane

Hi, see thread "A4 engine noise", around about the 15 of August, for a reply (mine) that might help /Robert

Reply to
Robert Brown

Oil was fine (some of the suggestions), so called out RAC.

Looks like the cam belt is quite loose (can't be right - thought Audi cars corrected this automatically?).

Car towed into Audi today - will let you know the outcome, but sounds pricey...!

Alex

Reply to
Alex Lane

It was the cambelt tensioner - the result was a bill for £580 from Audi. Great.

Still - at least no further damage to the engine!

Alex

Reply to
Alex Lane

Reply to
daytripper

To: "Alex Lane" Re: Re: Clatter on A4 at less than 2500 revs By: "Alex Lane" to alt.autos.audi on Tue Aug 26 2003 10:32 am

--- Synchronet 3.10L-Win32 NewsLink 1.43 * Friends of Bill W - Raytown,MO - telnet://friendsofbillw.dyndns.org

Reply to
Kcvwdoc

alt.autos.audi on Tue Aug 26 2003 10:32 am

Reply to
Alec

Glad to hear the problem is fixed without major money paid.

Could you pls post model year of your car as well as part number of revised tensioner (and/or when the revised part was issued, if you happen to know).

Am very curious to figure out from what time the factory started using the revised tensioner in regular assembly - before or after my car was made . . .

/Robert

Reply to
Robert Brown

Its a 1998 1.8T AEB. The slightly annoying thing is that when the main dealer replaced the timing belt, about 14 months/35K miles ago that is all he did. No recommendations about revised parts !!! This time I decided to get my hands dirty, save £400, and fit the latest parts. The AEB is now being fitted with the tensioner from the non-turbo 1.8 I think..

Tensi>

Reply to
Alec

Aaak! Get your timing belt changed out after 65k. I have a '99 A4 1.8T and the timing belt broke [while driving on freeway no less!] at 78k. This is not uncommon if you have been following posts here - even though Audi recommends change at 105k.

Learn from the experience and mistake of others - please! My car has not been the same s> ---8

Reply to
Ab