Consumer Reports

I'm giving the A6 some serious consideration but Consumer Reports indicates a bad grade for the engine. They didn't specify which one but since they
didn't give the A8 a bad report for the engine, I'm assuming they mean the 3.2
Anyone having an issue with their 3.2 engine?
Ken
--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.

The 3.2, ad least the one used in the A3, is the VR6, so mechanically, it should be free of bugs by now. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of complaints about failing ignition coil packs, which probably apply to all current engines. -- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
"Doug Warner" wrote

it should be free of bugs by now. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of complaints about failing ignition coil packs, which probably apply to all current engines.
The coilpack issues were predominant on the 1.8T and 3.0 engines, back in 2001-2003. I'm not aware of any CP issues on the 3.2.
Pete

The 3.2 used in the A6 has a 60 degree angle between the banks - completely different to the narrow angle (15 degree) V6 used in the A3.

The coil pack issue related to problems in production a few years ago now, and have since been resolved. It's not been an issue for cars produced in the last couple of years.

They give a bad grade for the enigine but don't indicate why in the write-up? Strange. I would assume it's probably due to gas mileage and/or noise. There isn't any history with this engine since it's basically new (i.e., not just an expanded version of the 3.0).
I REALLY am liking the new A6. There was one parked down the street a few weeks ago, in a medium grey color, that had me drooling.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA
Dan,
They didn't specify why but didn't mention it being a loud engine like some other cars; most notably the Fords. Gas mileage is very good so they had nothing to say on that.
They also listed the 300C with engine issues but again fail to specify what the issues are.
Ken
--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
Also, you need to keep in mind that Consumer reports doesn't like ANYTHING unless it's Japanese.
It certainly appears that way :-)

Thanks!!!
--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
Peter Bell wrote:

And it's really a 3.1, don't know why Audi call it a 3.2 - maybe they didn't want to risk any negative associations with the crappy old GM 3.1, LOL.
-- Mike Smith
On Sat, 20 May 2006 20:58:38 -0400, Mike Smith

The displacement of the "3.2" is actually 3130 cubic centimeters. Audi simply rounded up - not hard to understand at all...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

... as do most manufacturers.
However, the diesel engine in my wife's A2 1.4TDi is actually 1422cc! Perhaps it was felt that the diesel shouldn't appear to have a bigger engine than the petrol variant!

So nothing serious like the engine seizing?