Frank wrote:

From: http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/FAQs/OxygenSensors /
"Q. Except for the connector assembly, aren't all oxygen sensors basically the same?
A. NO. There are five fundamentally different types of oxygen sensors: unheated thimble, heated thimble, planar, wide-band and titania. Within each sensor type, sensors vary in the design of the ceramic element, heater element and protection tube design, all of which affect sensor operation."
I guess I have an Heated Thimble on my 83 Audi 4000S, a Heated Thimble on my 91 Passat, and a Titania on my 88 Cherokee engine. Now I only need two more to complete my 5! lol
BTW the website above has a link for instructions on how to install a universal 02 sensor and also a Vehicle Part Finder link to find the univeral 02 sensor
later, dave

I just recently replaced my O2 sensor. 96 S6 sensor $150 canadian. O2 sensor from 86 Mustang $45 canadian. Just had to snip off connector and splice wires.
Tony 96 S6

Try to find an equivalent VW part. For an A4, go to a VW dealer and buy part number 06A 906 262 Q, it's about $25 and plugs right in.