demons in my car?

Thanks everyone for the reply yesterday on the oil I should use.
Well this morning my heater seemed to be possessed. I could not get the air to go on the windshield nor the foot well (which was a problem because I
needed to clear the windshield this morning).
It didn't matter if I press the up or down buttons or even the windshield defog button - all I got has hot air coming from all the middle vents. It wasn't until I got to work 30mins later that suddenly it all worked!!!!
Now when I first started the car this morning I heard a high pitched motor noise coming from the right hand side of the dash. do you think this might be related?
Thanks all for your comments.
Darren Montreal