ipod with navigation system?

I am considering buying a 2006 A3, with a factory-option navigation system. I am told that this will make it impossible to also have the Audi ipod harness option. Does anyone know if I would be able to tack
on a 3rd-party ipod control?
I know that the navigation system comes with slots for 2 SD cards which will play mp3's, but I am looking for an ipod solution.
Thanks.
Bill T