K&N filter for OLD Audi?

Hi, is it worth it to get the K&N filter for my '86 5K TQ? Will it make much difference? The car is in peak mechanical condition now (unless I'm missing something)

Thank, cp

Reply to
cp

difference? The car is in peak mechanical condition now

Yeah, it lets more crap through, and makes your charge air dirtier.

Use a stock filter - they work great.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

difference? The car is in peak mechanical condition now

Is this something you know or something you've heard?

FYI K&N test their filters for filtration levels nenecessary to protect your engine with independent laboratories. The procedure used is the SAE J726 air filter test procedure established by the Society of Automotive Engineers.

I can understand that poorly maintained K&N filters, as any other filters, can - and will - perform lousy. Maintain your air filters as you would maintain the rest of your car and you wont have any problems.

I have a K&N filter in my BMW, and notice less fuel consumption, and the engine response is much better than with the stock filter.

Yeah, but they are so restricted. Like you... ;-)

Reply to
BBO

">> > Hi, is it worth it to get the K&N filter for my '86 5K TQ? Will it make much difference? The car is in peak mechanical condition now

Waste of time and money. It may make more noise, allow more rubbish through to wear the engine and has the potential to contaminate the MAF.

Alec

much difference? The car is in peak mechanical condition now

Something I know.

Wow. K&N presents positive data! Shocker!

Now, how about *independent testing*? That's usually not anywhere NEAR as positive.

Actually, new, freshly-oiled K&Ns do not filter as well. And the differences between a K&N and stock filter in engine power are negligible.

Placebo effect.

:roll eyes:

Independent testing results disagree with your, uh, "assessment."

And *especially* in a turbo application, I wouldn't screw around with dirty charge air.

But hey, if you like dirty intake air for no appreciable gain - have at it!

:)

Reply to
gcmschemist

I've been warned off them and removed one from my '96 S6.

Something I've done on my S6 is to replace the stock air intake hose, which snaked around the engine compartment before getting to the air box, with a

4" hose connected to the oil cooler intake snorkel. Have seen increased accelaration performance.

The AAN engine can suck harder than the stock air intake can supply air to. May be this is something you could investigate for your car. The mods I did cost $20.

Tony

96 S6
Reply to
Tony Curran

"cp" wrote

No. Not for an old, and not for a new.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

hmmmmmm I think I'll do an experiment, before and after, and post the results. maaaaaan it's amazing how fast a 20 year old 2.2 liter engine will go :-))))))))))

difference? The car is in peak mechanical condition

Reply to
cp

maaaaaan it's amazing how fast a 20 year old 2.2

Remember to try a new, stock filter as a control. Otherwise your experiment doesn't mean much. :)

E.P. "I know what you mean, as an owner of an UrS6"

Reply to
gcmschemist

Yes, I put one in a month ago. Going off on a long trip, will see if the K&N makes any difference.

ooooh S6, I'd love to have that if I was living in Europe

cp

Reply to
cp

Yeah, it sucks to be in the U.S. with this car - I always want to punch it up to 100.

But it's still a nice car, and gets decent fuel mileage when I don't overuse the boost. :)

E.P.

P.S. I think you're making a potentially expensive mistake. You're not going to notice any change in power.

Reply to
gcmschemist

100mph? I hope you're kidding me :-) you mean 155mph? German middle aged women drive 120mph in their diesel volkswagens and you want to drive your S6 100mph? :-) I've driven in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic at 115mph, in the traffic laden tunnels of paris at 140mph, so what's 100mph for a S6? Any 1994 cavalier will do that :-)

I've got a couple thousand 150mph kilometers under my belt, now that's S6 driving, just gotta watch out for American tourists, a known danger on the autobahns :-)

:-) I bet

You're right, I'm not going to bother. The filter costs 50CDN here, not worth it.

cp

Reply to
cp

"cp" wrote

When getting caught at that speed makes one go to jail, suddenly the bravery appears to vanish. Of course the trick is to not get caugth, I know. :)

At the risk of sounding like a preacher, driving 115 mph on public roads in heavy "bumper-to-bumper" traffic is nothing to be proud of; it's outright stupid. That's what the track is for.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

women drive 120mph in their diesel volkswagens and you

traffic at 115mph, in the traffic laden tunnels of

appears to vanish. Of course the trick is to not get

When driving in the US I keep to whatever everyone else is doing. I know of four fellow Canadians who were arrested for driving leisurely over 100mph. To us outside the US that's just whacked. Now speeding on city streets, that's a different matter. I'd have no mercy on anyone speeding in a residential neighbourhood, like what's done around here.

heavy "bumper-to-bumper" traffic is nothing to be

I'm talking about Europe. Different reality. Expert drivers. Would you call race car drivers stupid for going 150mph bumper to bumper? No, because it's a controlled environment with expert drivers. So are the autobahns to a lesser extent. That's why I said American tourists are a danger on the autobahn. That's not anecdotal evidence, it's reality, as I've found out from personal experience. eg. look up on gnutella autobahn vids; one of them will be a retard driving a mustang at 155mph with one hand and taping with the other, now that is utter stupidity.

Anyways, enjoy your Audi, my 20 year old sure fun :-)

cp

Reply to
cp

I mean on roads signed for 55-60mph. If I were to be caught, I would spend some time in jail, at least in this state.

I have done it several times while passing slower traffic. Hang back, drop two gears, judge the opening, get on boost, shoot past the timid drivers at 100, get back into my lane. You can swallow up 4-7 cars at a time, with no worries of oncoming traffic.

I'd like to just run at 100 all the time, but that'll get me into trouble. :)

Yes, 155 would be nice, but the roads around here are not suitable for that speed. The interstates would work OK for that, as long as I did it on a stretch with no other traffic. Which is Utopia, unfortunately.

Boost is way fun, even this kind of K24 turbo boost. No action, really, until about 3300rpm, then "Yeehaw!" Keep it above 3300, and life goes by at a very fast pace. [vbg]

Now I want to chip it - it's totally stock right now. But then I'm sure I'd get the "blue light special", so I'm going to hold off for now.

E.P.

UrS6, and loving every second of it.

Reply to
gcmschemist

I think you underestimate the typical American driver. The feats I have seen in Arizona would thrill you to no end. Women applying makeup, on the cell phone, changing lanes while looking into the rear view mirror for their exit. One driver eating a bowl of soup driving with their elbows, my favorite. Another exits the highway from the far left lane across four lanes of traffic 35 feet before their exit. Hmm what else did I see this week trying to commute and keep my A6 out of the shop. Oh yeah, Six young Latin gentlemen wearing sun glasses because the windshield was not to be found.

I am truly tempted to trade my A6 for an escort so that I would not feel the sense of loss. Ten again to remain on topic. I do have a K&N air filter.

aged women drive 120mph in their diesel volkswagens and you

hour traffic at 115mph, in the traffic laden tunnels of

bravery appears to vanish. Of course the trick is to not get

of four fellow Canadians who were arrested for driving

speeding on city streets, that's a different matter. I'd have

done around here.

in heavy "bumper-to-bumper" traffic is nothing to be

call race car drivers stupid for going 150mph bumper to

are the autobahns to a lesser extent. That's why I said

evidence, it's reality, as I've found out from personal

retard driving a mustang at 155mph with one hand and taping

Reply to
Rusty NAilz

the

Methinks you'd be feeling something other than "the sense of loss" if you had an escort.....I never knew that they would take a car in trade for services, though. I guess it depends what kind of escort you get. ;-)

Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

ROFL!!!!!!!!! :-))

cp

Reply to
cp

I get my MRC assited urS6 up there every once in awhile, but the highways are just getting too busy.

Nice stretch of highway for doin' this betweenMontreal and Ottawa when not under contruction.

Never use K&N filters in turbo cars. They let thru fine grit that scowers the turbo blades. - they don't quite fit the air box. If you want to get more air to the engine it may well be best to replace the stock intake air hose. I replaced mine with one foot of 4" hose, fitted in new location on oil intake snorkel, to stock airbox, and vrooooommm.

Tony

96 S6

Reply to
Tony Curran