Oil and HiCilone and K%Ne air filter

Hi all,

Was getting some oil in my local Motor Factors the other day and they expressed surprise that I was using 10/40W in a Land Rover that is nearly 15 years old. he suggested I should be using 20/50W as otherwise I coudl be burning oil.

Now the Motor has done 175000 miles 1991,. 2.5TDI, 110CSW. However, it uses little if any oil between services, which I do at 4000 miles.

Is he talking sense or rubbbish?

The Defender returns on average 35 to the gallon and is fairly nippy.

I have fitted a K&N air filter and a Hi Cicllone (there was some discussion a while ago) before fitting I was getting 32 to the gallon on average so they have improved things by 3 m.p.g.

I also ought to mentiomn that I have slick 50'ed the engine. Which I am sure has helped.

I also use Forte Advanced Engine Flush before every service. What surprises me is that after doing 500 miles since the last service the oil is still fairly clear.

So over to you.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Andy Hi,

I can also attest on the positive results using Slick 50 gives both on petrol and diesel engines. Some people may call it "snake oil" but what I know is that on every of my previously or currently owned vehicles it has made the engine run more sweetly and has also reduced fuel consumption. It has also assisted on giving exceptionaly high mileage figures without engine wear. How about a

1.300 cc turbocharged FIAT with increased wastegate pressure to 1.3 bars running for 120.000 km and still retaining the factory cylinder compression on all four cylinders?

As for using 20/50 instead of 10/40 oil I think the later may offer a bit more protection to your engine when cold but burn a bit more oil when hot. I would keep the 10/40.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Hi, out of interest did fitting the K&N make any noticeable difference to anything? £96 seems awful steep for an air filter element, but the advertising blurb suggests they do release a couple of extra bhp. Do they actually deliver, in the real world beyond the marketing department?

Thanks,

McBad

Thanks Andrew, mega-swift reply! I'll add it to my Christmas list then.

Kind regards,

McBad

I would say that my Land Rover has much better acceleration now.

Andy

P.S. I got mine off e-bay for £70 (brand new)

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

I did NOT notice any difference. I'll leave it in but...... Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

Personally I started using Morris 20w/50 at 100,000, but not because it "would burn oil" (I can't see that connection) but simply as it's a bit thicker - purely a personal thing.

Again personally, I use STP engine flush - not least as it's only £2.90 a can!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I have read that the dust performance is not as good as original equipment. I am sure this is not an issue for your average go faster chav wagon, however for a typical landrover user this could be quite an issue.

I use my disco a lot in coal mines and dusty areas and I just stick to replacing the air, oil- filter, oil every 5000km and usually change the fuel filter every 10000km.

I think this might be overkill but better safe than sorry, as my tdi costs about ZAR30k to rebuild and filters are cheap.

As an aside, we are getting lower sulphur diesel (I think from about

500ppm to about 50ppm) from Jan 1st, so I was wondering if I should try and push the oil change out to 7500km or keep it at 5000 as I do now?

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

On or around Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:15:31 +0200, fanie enlightened us thusly:

When they introduced LS diesel here I reckoned that it didn't produce as much power or as good economy...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

LS diesel is being introduced across the board here at the moment. For the last few years both LS and HS have been available and I've found no noticeable performance difference between them.

However, LS diesel tends to have a lower aromatic content which is causing problems with VE/Zexel/Bosch rotary pumps - the lower aromatic content is not having the effect of swelling the seals so the pumps are leaking.

The other concern that was raised (and has been addressed in the NZ fuel standards) is the lubricity of the LS diesel - the removal of the sulphur reduces the lubricity of the fuel which leads to rapid injector pump wear. Unless there is some government enforcement of a lubricity standard I'd be running an additive to make sure you're not going to run into this problem.

Reply to
EMB