LED Tail Lights

I'm interested in swapping out my rear brake / turn signal lights with LED replacements in my '01 Audi A6.
Things I need to know are: 1. Who are the best manufacturers for replacement LED's? Websites?
2. Are there computer side-effects (error messages and such) from using the low-power LED's versus the standard incandescent? If so what can I do to remedy? 3. Are there custom designed light replacements for Audis? 4. How much can I expect to spend?
Can anyone help?
Jim
Jim Arnau wrote:

That's an interesting question. An incandescent bulb will have, I would think, a higher impedance than an LED array. Then again, I would also think that anyone manufacturing such a beast would take this into account by putting a power resistor in series or some such.
-- Mike Smith

FWIW Audi always made every part internally interchangable. Motors, drivetrains, headlights etc. all of them can be interchanged without any problem. So I gather this goes also for LED lights.
Ronald
--
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.
I seem to remember that the front and rear light check control operates by comparing the one side's lamp resistance with the other (side's).

For an extensive range of all types of LEDs I would recommend you take a closer look at this site
http://www.ledtronics.com /
Have not bought anything from them but their range is impressive.
HTH Pantelis

Any luck for us here in the UK for the same stuff?
Cheers, Jules
--
***24 hours in a day...24 beers in a case...coincidence?***
"Pantelis Giamarellos" < snipped-for-privacy@otenet.gr> wrote in message
Jules Hi,
They do have representatives and dealers in France and Germany.
Since I am also based in Europe (Greece in particular) I will be buying from one of their EU based dealers to save on import duties. But I will first sompare the prices.
Take care Pantelis

They sell them, 9.99 much cheaper than the american site. they want $43.00 per bulb
That guy sells on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item $36236562&category(644
Cheers
Ron

Very cool stuff...
Now I need to find a Canadian source for these things!

Although, the text says: "Use only 1/50th the power of a conventional bulb"
This means 1/50 the normal current draw.. If your car has lamp burn-out detection, then these things may trigger false bulb alerts.
To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers can't possibly be human. so it must be OK to kill them.
Don't Canadian Tire have those in the new, mostly rice-rocket performance section? You might want to check there (just remember, friends don't let friends put led-eyed skull shift knobs in their Audis...) Same goes for lit Chevy bowties, huh JPF? (- and thanks) Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Some of the companies sell specific bulbs for CHEV or FORD that have a resistor in parallel with the LED array so that they draw enough current so that the computer does not turn on the BULB idiot light.
I have bought a set of APC 1157 bulb replacements (google for APC LED BULB for a retailer list) from www.driverfx.ca (canada) or www.driverfx.com (US) to go in my utility trailer. (Search for LED bulb on there site) While the bulbs are great they won't work on 2 of the three vehicles I we use the trailer with.
My car (Olds Intrigue) uses separate turn signal and brake bulbs so it has a trailer converter to combine the signal for the trailer. The LED bulbs will only work with a standard bulb in parallel. Same on my brothers GMC Yukon Denali. On my dads GMC Astro with a common turn and brake light they work just fine and are brighter than a regular bulb.
Anyone know why the trailer converter messes it up?
Barry

Just checked out their website... Got some 403 errors, the pictures are TINY (if there are any) and there isn't much in the way of detail. Definately not the best of sites to shop at.