Intermittent Turn Signal-Brake Light Problem

Got a little problem that's kind of driving me nuts. Could be a real safety problem, too. Once in a while, after switching the turn signal lever to indicate a left turn and only after I hit the brakes, the signal "freezes" (i.e. the signal light on the instrument cluster glows steadily.. doesn't flash). I also know that when this happens, the directional light on the rear end also stops flashing but stays lit. After reading another post in this group about the little soldered contacts on the bulbs wearing down, I've replaced all the bulbs in the rear. The front bulbs look ok. I also removed as much of the plastic around the steering column off that I could, and shot some electric contact cleaner into the signal mechanism... all without any positive result.

Additionally, when I want to use the "lane change" feature for the right directional, this doesn't work.

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

Mark '98 TJ '98 XJ

(Remove @home from email address to reply directly)

Reply to
M. E. Bye

It's only a minor issue with the turnsignal switch not fully returning to its center position. Next time it does it, just nudge the turnsignal lever a tad back towards the center and it'll be fine.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Jerry,

The lever returns to normal after making the turn. No problem there. What I'm talking about is this: Gonna make a left turn, Hit the signal lever to indicate left turn, Then apply brakes (i.e. brake lights now lighting), Left signal "freezes" (light stays lit, does not flash on instrument cluster or at tail light) until I let off the brake. It does it intermittently. I can go most of the day without a problem, then the next time I'm about to turn left...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

(Remove @home from email address)

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Man if you don't want to try what I'm suggesting, then don't. But trust me... even if it appears to be returning to dead-center after a turn, and it WILL appear to do so, it's not returning completely. This is a VERY well known problem with the turn signal switch.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I experimented with it a bit in the driveway just now, and that seems to be the fix, but what about the right directional "lane change" function? That seems to be something else.

Thanks.

Mark '98 TJ '98 XJ

(Remove @home from email address)

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Thanks, Mike.

Where is the signal light switch located?

Mark '98 TJ '98 XJ

(Remove @home from email address)

Reply to
M. E. Bye

Umm, unfortunately inside the column at the base of the signal arm.

Ok... hang on, there also was something about the emergency flasher switch on some newer model of jeep causing symptoms like yours I think. I don't remember for sure, but it was posted either here or alt.jeep-l.

Maybe try wiggling and turning on and off the emergency flasher switch?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Will do. Thanks, Mike!

Mark

(Remove @home from email address)

Reply to
M. E. Bye

M. E. Bye (fxdyna@ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) wrote on Saturday 20 September 2003

04:19 pm:

I'll throw in my two cents. I had a similar symptom on my Nissan, and a shot or two of WD-40 in the bulb socket fixed it. That was about seven or eight years ago, and it hasn't troubled me since.

It's an easy thing to try, if nothing else. You may just have a bad electrical connection. WD-40 is conducting.

Reply to
Michael White

No, WD-40 does not conduct. It's classified as a solvent and water displacer that is safe to use on electronic circuits. If it conducted, it would short out the circuits it can be safely sprayed onto. It was developed by General Dynamics here in San Diego to chase moisture problems (the morning dew) on the sensitive electronics in their missles... it could be sprayed directly on the circuit boards to get rid of the moisture without actually harming the electronics or causing shorts.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address KC6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

That may be a problem in the turn signal switch or steering column.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Hmm. My 2K does that too, rarely. I just re-cycle the turn signal, maybe one day I'll replace the flasher unit, which is what I suspect is the problem.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Didn't realise it was also developed as a spray on anti rust protector !

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

The problem, Dave, with WD-40 as a rust protector is its short life. It evaporates too soon to provide protection more than a few days. Since WD-40 came out, there have been a whole slew of better products that last longer. Its is my last choice as a lubricant and rust protectant but my first choice as a water displacer in wet electrical circuits or as a mild solvent. I have to "bite my tongue" on my overall opinion of WD-40 when I visit WD-40's corporate headquarters here in San Diego on business. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I use it the same as Jerry.

I find it is great for cleaning dirt out of things like starters and alternators and I like the fact that it evaporates away quickly so it doesn't attract too much more dirt.

I also now normally use it inside my distributor cap 'before' I go puddle jumping. One good shot 'usually' will keep the condensation out of the cap when cold water splashes on it. It really works well after the water gets in too.

I normally only need the one distributor cap spray per trip.

Mike

Jerry Bransford wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well at least they stopped using propane as a propellant. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Pledge furniture polish or Braddocks engine start if you are feeling brave ;-)

Reply to
Dave Milne