Need advice.

I have an A6 Quattro 2002 that was running great, until the following happened.
Last Winter, with all the pot holes forming, I hit a bad pot hole. Several days later, the tire was flat, and I installed the spare.
When I brought the car to a tire shop, they told me the rim was shot (has a 2 cm dent in the interior part.
Since then, the car starts to vibrate at around 60 to 70 mph. I brought it to the dealer, and they state that they drove it and accessed the computer, and found no problems.
The problem continues to haunt me. So I'm thinking, maybe the car needs an alignment and a wheel balance. Or perhaps the problem is much more serious because of the blow?
Also, because of a small business that I just started, I'm tight on cash, and I heard of a company in Penn that actually repairs rims for about 1/3 the price of buying a new one (getting a used one is so far impossible.)
TIA to all.
Richard
--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

It is possible to repair some damaged rims. I've seen some wheels you'd swear were dead and gone brought back to life.
Rim & Wheel Works near Boston is one outfit that does it, and there are plenty of others. Do some looking around (Google?) for recommendations on a wheel repair company near you...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd
I have had a similar problem with my rim on my TT Roadster. I brought the rim to my dealer and it was no problem to repair it. The dealer told me that they have had refracted rims of Porsche cars and repaired them without any problems. Today it seams to be no problem to weld aluminium together without loosing stability.
Hope that helps to save money :-)
German
daytripper wrote:

Dollars to donuts you broke the belt in the tire.
Jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground. Stand so you're looking at the tire end-on, and have someone give it a vigorous spin. Watch the "horizon" of the tire as it spins. If the belt is broken, it'll fluctuate, because the tire is out of round.

Being out of alignment does not normally evidence itself as a vibration.

Maybe, but unlikely. It's cheap enough to have this checked, though.

If the rim still has the dent you spoke of, then it needs to be fixed anyway. How is it holding air if it's that hosed?
Check the tire belt.

This is with the original spare still fitted? Have you had the tyre shop rebalance the original spare? If that doesn't sort it, then yes, get the alignment checked.
--
Peter Bell - snipped-for-privacy@bellfamily.org.uk

Peter Bell wrote:

I concur. I rather suspect Richard's car has a damaged suspension, especially considering what forces are necessary to create a 2cm dent in a rim.
Wolf*stillenviousbecauseofthatRS6inPetersdriveway*gang

Well, if you believe Audi, the RS4 wheels are designed to bend in order to save the suspension from damage!
I can't help feeling that if there was damage to the suspension on Richard's car, then the major complaint would be about inability to track straight - perhaps only noticeable under braking or acceleration. Also, I hope that the words 'accessed the computer' means that the dealer performed a computerised geometry check - I don't know of any on-board system which would report any damage likely to arise out of this incident.

Nope - it gets locked away in the garage! Because I work at home and cover a relatively low milage (it's only passed 1000 miles within the last week), I'm still not exploring the full performance - one day...!
A friend with a well-tuned RS4 followed me out of a carpark the other day, and commented favourably on my get-away! However, he did shoot past me further down the road when I eased off!
--
Peter Bell - snipped-for-privacy@bellfamily.org.uk

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 13:29:27 +0200, Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Wolf*stillenviousbecauseofthatRS6inPetersdriveway*gang...I'll second that!!
Elroy the stillenviousbecauseofthatRS6inPetersdriveway Impaler 2000 S4
Elroy the Seedy Impaler wrote:

Rotated the wheels, balanced and aligned; now rides like a beauty again.
Now to fix the bent rim.
Thanks all for your input.
Regards,
Richard
--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."
Richard Periut wrote:

Excellent. Ok. Now we know, some Audi suspensions can take hits hard enough to bend a rim ;-)
Thanks for the feedback what it actually was.

Wolfgang