Reliable? 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro Sedan

I'm seeing Consumer Reports rates this car as unreliable. This has caused me to slow down on a purchase I was about to make. Are there any happy 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro owners out there? Looking for comments about reliability of the car.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

myronf

As a current owner of three Audis and having owned several others, I can tell you about Audis and their general reliability.

They ain't Toyotas. If you want Toyota or Honda reliability, buy one of those.

The comments you've already received, in magazine format from other owners, should tell you what you need to know. Compared to a Toyota, the A6 is gonna have issues. Too many to live with? Too expensive to live with?

I'd pay any price, suffer any consequence to avoid having to put up with driving a snoremobile like a Toyota. Maybe you're not that committed. :)

E.P. '95 UrS6

Reply to
gcmschemist

wrote

Heh.. I feel the same way. I survived a year bihind a wheel of an Accord, driving which was literally putting me to sleep. And on top of that, it had its fair share of issues as well (maybe because it was US-made, I don't know). I moved onto an A4, and never looked back. I just wish I didn't waste a year with the Accord.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Hey Ed, Just purchased a 2002 A6 Avant 3.0, great car, my first Audi and I'm impressed with the detail but . . . .

Rain storm lastweek resulted in a flooding inside the car, due to a blocked drain hole under the battery in the engine bay, its at the Audi dealership, $300 for diagnosis and heard word of a bad TCM (Transmission Control Module) that is located under the passenger seat

- I may be mistaken but got a price of $1800 for a TCM.

Flooding inside the car due to blocked drainholes is quite common for the A6, A4 and the VW Passat / Jetta - just so you know.

My Jaguar XJR100 parked in the garage for the winter is cheaper to maintain than this car and doesnt have problems dealing with rain water.

I will let you know what happens . . .

Reply to
Nicholas Hoskins

Well, if it's parked in a garage all winter it's not going to have maintenance or rain problems, is it?

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Morton

I have a 2002 A4 3.0 quattro (not an A6), with 75000 miles. Aside from the coil pack issue, fixed under warranty, the car has been solid. When this one won't go any further, I'll definitely buy another.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Thompson

And of course, the 2002 A6 is like the 6th year of that model, so most of the bugs, one would think, have been worked out. But I agree with EP above, if you value reliability above everything, stick to the Honda or Toyota.

Funny story - my cousin, a '92 BMW 5-Series driver, was telling me last night that his car had to be towed to the shop for a new coil and some other work - about $700 all told. As it was being loaded onto the trailer, he said the only thing that went through his mind was 'Damn, that's a great looking car!".

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Just got back from the Audit dealer after reading through the maintenance records for the 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro I'm interested in. One clear item stood out. The rotors were replaced at 15K and again at

35K. That's much more frequent than the cars I've previously owned. Is this typical for an Audi?

Interestingly, this is the one item that Consumer Reports flagged as a big problem area for this year Audi.

Ed

Ed wrote:

Reply to
Ed

Just got back from the Audit dealer after reading through the maintenance records for the 2002 A6 3.0 Quattro I'm interested in. One clear item stood out. The rotors were replaced at 15K and again at

35K. That's much more frequent than the cars I've previously owned. Is this typical for an Audi?

Interestingly, this is the one item that Consumer Reports flagged as a big problem area for this year Audi.

Ed

Ed wrote:

Reply to
Ed

Audis do tend to go through rotors. Typically, the fronts wear faster. Were all the rotors replaced at 15K and 35K? If so, that would seem a bit excessive even for Audi. Typically, you replace the rotors with the pads. Perhaps the previous owner did a lot of autocrossing. ;-)

Reply to
Ian S

What kind of problems have you had with your audis? Anything serious or just the bling bling stuff?

cp

Reply to
cp

Could be the previous driver was aggressive.

cp

Reply to
cp

I have a 2002 A4 3.0 quattro with 75,000 miles. It's still on the original rotors and pads.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Thompson

Ed, I can tell you're not the type that will be happy with Audi or any other European car. Get a Toyota and sit around braging about how little maintenance it requires. Look, a mule is more reliable and requires less maintenance than a horse too .........

Reply to
Tony

I've been driving Audis since 1984 and wouldn't buy anything but Audi Quattros. I have had minimum problems with them, and I am hard on cars. My first Audi convinced me to continue to stick with the marque; it was the first car in my life to last me 3 years without major problems. All previous cars were American.

And I don't rely on Consumer Reports to buy casrs. Look at the auto mags and see what they have to say.

Dave RS6

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

Good point there Jonathan, very sharp. Although it does rain in the summer as well, and yes, I used the Jaguar last winter (reason why I got the Audi as the Jag was the worst car I have ever driven in snow).

Thanks for the comments though, good one . . . .

Cheers

Nicholas

Reply to
Nicholas Hoskins