New S4 speed limit

The big book of current Audi models at the dealer says the S4 is limited to 130 MPH. Is that really true?

The previous generation is limited to 143 MPH (230 km/h) in the US, and I think 155 (250) in Europe. 130 is slow for a

350 HP high performance sports sedan.
Reply to
John F. Carr

Does the S4 come with H-rated tires rather than V-rated? If so, then that's probably the reason for the limit.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Dunno about the S4 in the US, but here in Europe Audi recently announced that they would break the "gentlemans agreement" on Vmax = 250 km/h in the new RS6 Plus where the Vmax would be 280 km/h. This is supposedly justified by claiming that the car may be driven "perfectly safe" up to this speed providing the right roads...

If the S4 comes with H-rated tires I'm kinda surprised. Is there some 'american' requirement for a 'comfortable ride' or something??? My A6 2.8 came with V-rated tyres. H-rating reminds me of days in my -78 Opel Ascona 2.0S with a still plastic-smelling licence in my back pocket....

Rune S

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

Interesting that some road tests (and some private individuals) have discovered that the standard RS6 is capable of reaching 280km/h 'out of the box'. One day I might attempt it in mine.

Reply to
Peter Bell

I don't know if the S4 comes with H-rated tires or not, but I can say that H-rated tires are quite common in the States (remember our speed limits... :-/

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Max.speed in Norway is 100 km/h / 60 mhp :-( , but you need to have tires that match your car's top speed (except on M+S). You go to jail if you go above 140 km/h... And you should see _our_ roads. A famous example was a german who was badly hurt during base jumping in 'Trollveggen' (1000 m+). Turned out he bought extra insurance to drive on norwegian roads, but not for base jumping...

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

Many (but probably not all) MY2000-2002 USA B5 S4's came with V-rated Bridgestone Potenza RE040's...

Reply to
daytripper

Dealers have factory ok to install H rated snow tires.

Reply to
john s

sounds downright considerate - though unfathomable - to me.

hope nobody was really contemplating bumping the S4's speed limiter while wearing snow tires?

/daytripper (I mean - even if you could, why do it?) '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

The 130 MPH speed limit was mentioned in the brochure. I don't know what model tires the new S4 has but they are very low profile (40 on

18 inch wheels) and not likely to be H rated.
Reply to
John F. Carr