Re: 1984 Audi 4000S Quattro brake bleeding

Hi,
I just found the following message on google while looking for hints on brake fluid bleeding. It's two months old now, but it still cought my attention (copied from google, my reply is below):

Hi Chris,
I am just guessing here, but could it be that the brake bomb is gone? On my Audi 100, 1989 it took me quite a while before I realised that this is the problem. In most posts about the brake bomb, they mention that it's main purpose is to give brake assistance when the engine is off. However, my impression is that the most important part is to have a reservoir so that the brake assist works instantly. Before I replaced my brake bomb, the brake worked normally when pressing it slowly. Only when pressing it suddenly, there was a short (~half-second) delay before the pump could build up the pressure and then the brake paddle went down further. The above sounds very much like this.
Indicators whether this could be the problem are:
- Engine running: When the brake pedal is prest suddenly, it feels hard first and then goes down further.
- While driving: When suddenly braking, the brakes are at first weaker and then increase in strength as the pedal moves down.
- Just after the engine is switched off, the brake pedal is hard to press down.
Working bomb: Just after the engine is switched off, the brakes still work fine. After pressing the pedal down 20 to 70 times, it suddenly becomes hard.
For more details on the brake bomb and how it works do a google serch.
Christoph
My guess is that the bomb is not the problem.
More likely that the first poster is having the problem due to a failing master cylinder.
Christoph Bollig wrote:

I agree. I've driven cars with both a bad "bomb" (535i) and failing master cylinders (various) and the OP's issue sounds like it's in the MC, not the bomb. replace the MC first then look at the bomb if it's still not quite right.
nate
Tony wrote:

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.