86 Audi 5000 CS Quattro Turbo

Hello all,

I just picked up an 86 5000 CS Quattro Turbo. I have never owned on of these before, but it looks like a great car! Can anyone provide some insight on maintenance ( e.g. Timing Belt replacement, fluid changes, etc) or known problems I should look out for?

Thanks!

Reply to
Matt

If you don't have the history on the car it is strongly advisable to change the T belt, water pump and tensioner. It will require a special tool to hold the dampener pulley. You may be better off having an independent Audi mechanic do this. Do not trust a mechanic that is not known for working on Audis.

If you are having random electrical problems with windows, sun roof ... Check the wires where they go through a rubber protector into the drivers door. If the dash lights are not working check for worn wires in the bundle at the drivers side trunk hinge. Don't trust this if it looks good. Cut it open and look at each wire.

If it is an Automatic change the trans fluid and filter.

Only use Pentosin to fill the power steering power brake hydraulics. The brake fluid reservoir used regular DOT 3 or 4.

The T44s are great cars but you will need to stay current on maintenance

A great resource for all technical information on the T44s is:

You will be much happier with a manual.

Reply to
Tony

Phil Payne