Re: A8 transmission failure

Whew! And to think I was toying with the idea of replacing my old 100 with a 97 A8! It only costs $900 to rebuild the 100's slushbox....

--
Stephen Clark
Bullshit. Try to find a good used differential on a really old car.

I'm not sure of your meaning, JP. Do you mean it's hard to find, or I should try to find one rather than rebuild?
I don't need it yet, but some day I will. Reverse is reluctant to engage when the tranny is hot. All forward gears are OK.
STC

Old type 44 transmissions are cheap and easy. The differentials they bolt to are always neglected, always shot, and unavailable as "good used." If you have a good diff now, treat it with care. Almost every old 3-speed Audi box I've done over the years required diff work.
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:47:48 -0500, "Stephen Clark"

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I do have a good diff, and intend to keep it that way. I had the recall done on the diff lube as soon as it came out, and my mechanic checks it each time he changes the tranny fluid. This car is pampered!
STC

Is it the Tiptronic? Were there any minor symptoms or problems with the tranny earlier in its life? Did you buy the car new?
Get on the A8 forum at AudiWorld.com (aka AWA8). We've got a good group of knowledgeable A8 owners there.
At this point, were I you, I'd be looking at a ZF-rebuilt tranny. ZF just opened a rebuilding facility in the U.S., located in Chicagoland. A8 board wunderkind Paul Waterloo visited, and has posted a review in AWA8.
Good luck.
JimR