Re: Water in 2000 A6... seeking advice

2000 A6 Avant 50k miles United States.

> > Car was parked outside yesterday. Rained hard for about an hour. All > windows and sunroof closed. All weatherstripping looks fine. The car > has been through rainstorms since we've had it, sometimes parked and > sometimes in motion. > > Carpet was soaked only in front passenger footwell. Floormat also > soaked. No sign of any water drippage through door, window, sunroof, > or ventilation system. Only the flat part of the floor was wet, not > the sloped part of the floor. > > Anyone had similar experience? Any ideas or advice? > > thanks >

Blocked drain holes from the windscreen?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

A wet carpet/floor mat in the front passenger area used to mean a leaking heater core. But I have no idea about your car as I'm kinda new to servicing Audi's.

Romy

Reply to
Romy Singh

Duncan,

Sounds possible, but could you elaborate as to the location of this/these drain hole(s)? Besides, if a drain hole was blocked, is there some other path for water to get into the cabin that was intentionally engineered into the car?

As for the other poster, I'd generally agree about the heater core issue, (I even had the pleasure of replacing one in my old 77 Chevy Nova). But I'd certainly hope that's not the case on a 3 year old 50k mile car on which we have not used the heat (picked it up May 1). Besides, the liquid on the carpet has neither color nor odor, indicating the leakage is not likely coolant.

All comments appreciated.

Reply to
Avantium

Regardless of whatever people here *guess* could be the culprit (and so far the guesses are as good as any) it would seem more expedient to get your garden hose out, put someone in the car with the doors/roof/windows tightly closed, and get on with it...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd. If it was me, I'd stick the SO in and try to get her wet ;-)

Reply to
daytripper

Avantium;

You may want to check AC hoses. I had a similar experience in a vehicle in which the drain hose for the AC had a leak and it would drain into the passenger foot well. No odor as it is only condensed water.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Bob Lodi

If it's pink in color then the core maybe leaking but I doubt it! Was the windshield recently replaced? Or, first I would check the drains in the cowl area especially if there are signs of leaves lying there.

Reply to
Woodchuck