2000 Infiniti Q45 water in trunk

I recently bought a Q45 and noticed a small amount of water under the jack on the left well of the trunk. The dealer replaced the seal and after some rain we had last night I checked and found some more water.

Before I go back to the dealer, I thought I'd check with this group and also see what I could find with a water hose today. The antenna is on this side and the tail light comes to mind.

Any ideas?

Dufus

Reply to
Dufus McGoob

I saw this kind of thing on a number of used Mazda's I looked at. When I checked closer, I sometimes found water in the taillight. Closer inspection revealed that some of these vehicles had been in an accident and that the replacement taillight assembly no longer fit securely in the metal work of the car.

If you need to prove the point, a garden hose is the way to go and to spray heavily all around the taillight and other areas on that side of the vehicle. There could also be a leak around the rear window.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Thanks RTT,

I took all the felt covered plastic out and did the water hose thing, and the tail light must have been replaced at some point and that's where the leak was. Taking the assembly out the pooky they used was a really small bead in that one corner.

I also took everything out of the trunk to see if any panels had been replaced and thankfully everything matched up with regard to paint overspray and the sealer from the factory.

So it was a five dollar fix to get some automotive caulk, a.k.a. black pooky, make a good bead and put it all back together. I did find where the original owner pulled one of the drain plugs to allow the water to flow through though. It's back in place and passes the water hose test now.

Dufus

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Tomkins" Newsgroups: alt.autos.nissan Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 9:47 AM Subject: Re: 2000 Infiniti Q45 water in trunk

Reply to
Dufus McGoob