considering purchasing Audi - seeking advice

I'm considering purchasing an Audi A6 wagon. However, I have never owned an Audi and was wondering about the reliability. I normally like to keep a car

9+ years (looking for something dependable).

Thanks.

Reply to
Beecher Adams

I had 140K miles on my 95 when I traded it and currently have almost 130K on my 98. Both A6 wagons. Have had more anoying little problems than should be expected and the 98 started to lose coolant shortly after 50K miles. It was leaking coolant around the manifold if I am recalling correctly. Audi paid for half of the repair bill, around $600 (US) as I recall (i.e. 600 total, so my share was $300). But the important thing to me is that I was never left stranded. (Except for two weeks ago when the battery went. But as the car is 5 years old I am not upset about that.)

I figure that Japanese cars are probably better. But show me a Japanese 4 wheel drive station wagon (not an SUV) which is as nice as an Audi.

Bob

Reply to
eBob.com

My 1986 coupe quattro has 273k on it, and the head's never been off. It's actually off the road at the moment as the clutch went at Christmas and I bought a TT as a runabout. I intend to rebuild the engine (while it's not busy) as a precaution, when the clutch is changed.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

That's been my experience with the old inline 5-cylinders. Never seen one actually die; they just use more oil (and only a little, at that). Of the 3 I've personally owned that had 234K-266K miles, two had broken clutches and the third was traded to avoid the issue. Even then, the *clutch itself* didn't fail; it was the throwout assembly that broke. I'm betting you'll find the same in your Coupe.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; broke that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger