tire wear

I bought my 2003 A4 3.0 in 2003. I have accumulated about 35,000 km and now I need to replace all my tires due to wear. The tires that came with the
car are Pirelli P6. I am wondering if it is unusual to have the tires wear out so quickly. I don't consider myself an aggressive driver. I rarely stomp on the gas pedal to launch my car from a stop light.
Do you have any recommendations what replacement tires I should get?
Thanks for your inputs.

For non-aggressive driving, that does seem a bit excessive - I'm assuming the wear bars are showing. BTW, it's not just stomping on the gas pedal, it's also braking and cornering that will contribute to tire wear. If the wear is uneven, then there may be an alignment problem. Try a set of Kumho Extras (either summer hi performance or all-season) - at least if you wear them out fast, it's not so hard on your pocketbook. They're a great tire for the money.

It is quite normal for Pirelli to wear fast -although yours went a long way- it's also known that Michelins last longer.
Ronald
I had the OEM Pirelli P6ALLSEASON on my '03 A4 3.0 CVT. I only got 16,500 miles out of them. Not good-wearing tires. I replaced mine with Bridgestone Potenza RE950s that have much better grip, especially in rain; these are also as quiet as the OEMs and have lasted 15,000 miles with reasonable wear thusfar. Next time, however, I'll go for performance tires and forget about the all season crap.

I hope you live where it is rarely cold and never snows because performance tires are downright dangerous if used for "winter" driving.

I live in Chicago and bit the bullet and bought a set of winter performance tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M2 and aftermarket wheels) to go with the OEM Dunlop SP Sport 9090 summer high-performance tires. It was hard at first ($$$), but I'm glad I did. I put the winter tires on in early November, and the summer tires in early April. I'd never drive with the summer tires on in the winter. But the right tires for the right season...... :-) :-) :-) I only have a total of 18000 mi so far, but I'm surprised that both sets haven't worn a little more. I tend to drive fairly agressively. They both ride well too, but I can tell that the winter tires are a bit softer (of course).
Billy Ray wrote:

It only freezes 2-3 nights a year here-- so "summer" tires are all-season tires here... thankfully