TT Gotchas?

I'm planning on buying a used TT within the next few months. I want the coupe, 225HP, Quatro.
Is there anything specific I should be watching out for?

--

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

MY TT IS SWEET EXCEPT FOR A FEW THINGS 1 THE GEAR SHIFT DONT WORK AND B. IF YOU DRIVE IT FOR VERY LONG THE ENGINE HEATS UP AND IT SMELLS REAL BAD BUT OTHER THAN THAT ITS A SICK RIDE

-
Steve Daniels wrote:

speeding tickets.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:14:39 -0700, against all advice, something

Watch out for the cops, and the speeding tickets will take care of themselves.
--
Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Apart from the usual accident damage, and general neglect some owners seem to display - one of the important issues are a compete service history. The other is to ensure that ONLY the correct specification of VW approved fully synthetic oil has been used.
HTH
--

Sean
'07 Audi B7 RS4, '06 Golf V GTI 2.0T FSI DSG, '03 Audi B6 S4 v8

It does, thank you. I hear of a sludge issue with the 1.8T. How does one go about discovering if an engine has it?
--
Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

(...)

No one usually discovers it until it is too late. Inspecting the underside of the oil cap is usally a dead give away.

Yeah, that's really the only way to tell. If there is a sticky residue on the underside of the cap, or if the inside of the engine that you can see looks 'gummy' (versus relatively clean) then 'run away'....
But I don't recall that the TT had this issue, it was primarily with the longitudinal engine mountings like the A4 - the TT is transverse, correct?
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 (sludge-free) Central NJ USA
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:22:39 -0000, against all advice, something
<sludge in my motor makes me grumpy>

Yeah, if it's not a quattro it's FWD, and in either case it's a transverse mount. I wonder why this would make a difference?
--
Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Ignore what Gerky Gatzoz has to say. He is a spammer that has haunted this newsgroup for awhile. Ignore him.
I've been driving Audis for more than 20 years and everyone I have owned has served me wonderfully. There are several TTs in the club I belong to and all are happy with their cars.
Dave RS6
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:05:43 -0400, against all advice, something

Yeah, that was pretty obvious. I've been lurking here for a while.

I'll probably start looking in earnest come January, unless some killer deal just jumps out and grabs me by the face.
--
Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

If you are going to buy from a dealer mid December is a good time as they will be doing bugger all other business and may be more desperate for a sale
HTH C
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:52:55 +0100, against all advice, something

It's a good strategy generally, but around here the Audi dealers have a Take It or Leave It attitude. Now if I wanted a Miata . . .
--
Life is too short to play cheap guitars.

Dealer told me slow months were July and Aug.
Also worth a thought on your timing within the month you buy - i.e. has the sales exec hit his required target?
On 17/8/07 12:52, in article 46c58b9c$0$21098$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk,

Steve Daniels wrote:

Actually my '03 has given me a few minor problems:
1) Rattles! 2) Ignition coils. Apparently there was no recall like on A4s and GTI/Jettas of similar years. Luckily it was still under warranty. 3) Rattles! 4) A recent problem was that my car would just die while on the freeway (at 80mph) and while braking. All the gauges would just quickly drop to zero, all lights would shut off, etc. Just as quickly the engine would start up and continue like nothing happened. It happened a few times over about a 2 week period. No fault codes appeared. 5) Did I mention rattles?
I guess 4 isn't really minor, but it stopped happening.