TT Wheels

I'm buying a 2004 TT S-Line coupe. It has 18" wheels presently. I'd like to buy an additional set to mount snow tires.

Do I have to stay with 18" wheels, or can I go with 16"?

TIA.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

I would stay with the oem size, even for a snow. The reason is that most of your snow tire driving will NOT be on snow. Assuming your TT is with Quattro, it will take you just about anywhere in snow without snow tires. You need snow tires, however, to stop. d;o) If you go to

16 inch tires, especially with narrower tread, you will be giving up a little in performance.

Dave RS6 with 19" BBS LMs/Dunflops in the summer 18" oem alloys/Blizzaks for the winter

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

It's a good idea to get a rim and wheel to use as a SPARE. Since the TT does not come with one. . . .

Reply to
moe32274

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:26:37 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something compelled moe32274 , to say:

It's got a nifty little air compressor, though.

I think the last time I suffered a flat was about ten years ago. And when one considers that the quattro system might get damaged from running tires of different diameters on the same axle, I think that were I to get a flat, I'd be better off trying to fix it with the nifty little air compressor, or calling AAA for a flatbed.

Besides, where would I put a spare?

Reply to
Steve Daniels

The Audi TT have no problem what so ever with the 16"

I would go with 16" because 18" in snow is to wide. Regarding performance, you will get a lot better grip with 16" they will outperform 18" (in snow)any day.

Ole

Reply to
Ole

Why not take the middle ground and go 17"?

I had an 03 TT and used the stock 17" (Fat Five) wheels with winter tires as my winter set up. Tires (and wheels if you need them) on 17" wheels will be a little cheaper and since it is an OEM size, you shouldn't have any problems.

Tony

Reply to
Regina_TT

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 14:46:01 -0400, against all advice, something compelled Regina_TT , to say:

I was wondering if the S-Line package required the wheels to be

18" to fit over the brakes. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get a bracket replaced, and I'll ask them.
Reply to
Steve Daniels

Not at all. I have an 08 S Line now that came with 19" wheels. The dealer did advise me to be careful of which 17" wheels would work. I bought some 'Hartmann RS6 Reps'

and theyclear the brakes perfectly. Notto mention they are an Italian madewheel of outstanding quality and have theAudi look.

Reply to
Regina_TT