Worn out A6

I took the 99 A6 in for a recall fix and the dealer found nearly $4000 worth of work that was need on a car with just under 60,000 miles on it. Also, some of the repairs needed to be done before it would pass the state inspection. They said it was just worn out; that some go longer but nothing unusual. The repairs included; lower control arms-$670, tie rods- $490 - Timing belt- $1500, Suction jet pump- $850, Front propshaft seal -$485. My question to you is; can that be right? I wrote to the Audi of America but they did not respond. But I don't think that I could buy another Audi. Larry

Reply to
L. D. Mormino

Have the dealer do *just* the recall. (They are required to do this, and cannot make a recall dependent on other non-warranty/non-recall replairs).

Then take it to an honest, independent shop (that is good, and has a good reputation) and ask them to evaluate the other items.

Then make a decision.

Oh, and find a new dealer.

Reply to
PeterD

Reply to
L. D. Mormino

Yeah, because the new car will cost less than $4000, and have a timing belt that never needs to be replaced...

No wonder so many people are in debt up to their eyeballs - if this is the kind of "thinking" that prevails.

Of course, the Audi dealer did VAG no service by trying to belt this guy for $4000 of repairs, who knows how many of which were really necessary.

The timing belt, yeah. But $1500 is WAY TOO DAMN MUCH to spend on that job.

Still, are there people out there who are really this completely brain- dead?

The mind boggles.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

I wouldn't call it worn 'out' After all, the car's almost 8 years old.

lower control arms and tie rods are common, timing belt is something you have to have done anyway. You can always decide if you want to buy a new car before every timing belt change or just have it done.

Guess what's cheaper?.

Suction jet pump and prop-shaft seal I don't know about.

Yeah, completely right.

Err, well maintenance for an 8 year old car does include the odd bigger repair.

For the record, I own a 99 A6 as well, 2,5 TDI, Avant.

100.000 miles on it and owned it since new.

Had several lower control arms and tie rod ends, had one timing belt done at 75kmiles for ~700 Euros, thats around 900US$ right now, at the dealer. Had two sets of braking discs in the front and one in the rear. Worst that happened was a failed fuel injection pump a few months ago, meaning after more than 7 years and almost 100kmiles. Ouch on a TDI with those high pressure pumps. Cost me ~2.500 US$ at the dealer.

Was still a good deal, bcause 8 weeks later the new pump went again. Obviously the second pump cost me nothing.

In both cases I had a decent loaner free of charge, so I didn't worry.

Sure, somewhen in the future the dampers need a change. That's most likely then a job for the independent. I need to fix a screw in the rear door lining too :-)

I went through the maths that time. By no means it would make sense financially to buy a new car, even with those repairs. The car is mine, no debt.

Dealer would offer ~14kUS$ for it if I trade it in.

But most important:

Every time I get in and drive it, it's a most pleasant feeling.

:-)

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

rrrrright...

Hehehe... "free of charge" - and he thinks what he paid was reasonable.

Reply to
Marcus Redd

Well, maybe not completely right, yes :-) The price for the belt change is quote high. I was mainly referring to the number of repairs.

Don't get me wrong, I'd also try to find another dealer, because this one's too expensive, but I wanted to express that the car's not waste just because of those things.

Hmm. I think 900bucks including time and material for a V6TDI belt change is VERY reasonable. The independents wouldn't do it for that price.

Not with waterpump and tensioner and all.

W.

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Reply to
L. D. Mormino

Sorry mate, I was in a bad mood last night...

Reply to
Marcus Redd

Says who? Take it to an independent to see if they even need to be done!

Timing belt, yes - you're on-mileage for that one. The rest? Who knows?

How do you figure that?

When you don't own a car. Seriously.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Took the car for a second opinion at a independent garage and they agreed with dealer but would do the work for about half with parts from the dealer. Larry

Reply to
L. D. Mormino

or when you buy a honda civic. but who would do that to themselves?

Reply to
tockeyhockey

I've also heard the myth that Hondas never need repair or maintenance. Considering the number of Hondas I see in a local shop at any given time, I know for a fact that the myth is completely false.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Reply to
L. D. Mormino

Toyotas have very soft, long-travel suspensions. Test drive the car for at least 10 minutes in slow traffic to make sure the forwards/backwards rocking doesn't make you sick. If it doesn't, the Toyotas are generally great cars.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie