1994 BMW 530V8 - Nikasil

Hi
I am thinking about buying a 1994 BMW 530 V8 with 50k miles on. I understand that there is an issue about a possible Nikasil engine?
I believe the engine has not been changed - is there any test available to
quickly check the vehicle. I know that BMW can do a test but obviously this requires the car to go to the dealer and I do need to travel to look at the vehicle! This is a private sale.
Thanks
Rainbow
rainbowplus wrote:

Easiest is to check the casting numbers on the block. You will have to remove one of the covers below the engine to get a look at them.
http://www.koalamotorsport.com/article-m60v8.asp
--
-Fred W

are plenty about, even cheap, clean, low milers too.
JB

If the car's been in regular use up until now and is running fine I can't see there will be a future problem. Nothing wrong with trying to negotiate the price down, though.
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yebbut you do still hear of people having problems with Nikasil engines.
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Even if the block has been changed, these cars go for minimal bucks anyway. If the chassis has only 50k on it I'll bet the engine is original.
Here's the real question... Is it an automatic? If so, walk away. The automatics in those cars need a fix installed that will cost almost as much as what you are probably going to pay for the car. If you don't install the fix, it will eventually get stuck in gear and reverse at the same time and self destruct.
Been there, had that, sold the car... before the tranny failed.
--
-Fred W

Not heard of an automatic funny - a link perhaps?
In any event in the UK such a car would cost ~1-2k ($2-4k), so even if it does fail after say a year, you are still better off than if you bought a five year old one for say 10k and suffered 20% depreciation!
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Sure, except in the latter case you aren't afoot!
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

http://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic100076.html
See section under 5hp30 problem areas
google on "5hp30 plastic ball" without the quotes.
--
-Fred W