thinking about buying

I recently got a new job and am looking to purchase a new, or used car to replace my 2002 Hyundai accent. I am looking for something good on gas (I will be driving about 1 hour each way), and some with good crash test ratings. I was thinking a Jetta TDI or some type of Subaru. I also want my car to handle well in the snow and be reliable. I would like to find a nice newer used, but am leery of purchasing a newer used (afraid i'll get a lemon)

Reply to
illusion123a

Your last sentence didn't make much sense, but I think I know what you are trying to say. Don't expect better gas mileage if you're looking for a Subaru. If you want superior handling, function, AWD, and performance, then, by God, go out and get an Impreza, Outback, or Legacy. Forget the WRX, you'll just hate spending money on premium gas. If you want a driver's car, get an Impreza. It's not made for passengers behind the seat (too small). But I didn't buy my car for rear passenger comfort. If you do decide to get the Subaru, you will not be disappointed. The AWD is tremendous; you will be amazed how far you can take the car in extreme weather. Considering what you're moving from (Accent), I think you'll be astonished at how much horsepower is available to the wheels. A TDI will get you 1,000 km per tank; Subaru will lucky to get 60% of that value. You can't compare Jetta to Impreza; it's two different types of cars. One is a boring passenger car and the other is an exciting drivers car, built from the same Rally-inspired heritage it came from.

My 2c.

Stoneman

Reply to
Stoneman

If your experience was as mine was in shopping for a late model used Subaru, you may find newer used ones hard to find as Subaru owners tend to be a "cradle to grave" lot that drive the living crap out of them until they're too embarassing looking to drive, and then hand them down to a family member.

Given how little they seemed to depreciate relative to other vehicles in their first years, the ones I could find were still damned expensive.

So I bit the bullet, did th feel good math on a cost/year or ownership and purchased my first new vehicle ever. So far so good!

The Suabarus's do very well in crash tests and once you feel the sure footedness of AWD in the snow, you won't go back.

According to Consumer Reports, the years to avoid in recent Subie Outbacks are 2000 and 2001 given the head gasket issues of the 2.5L H4 engine. My car knock on wood has been very reliable, however. ABout the only trouble spot has been the timing belt tensioner which is loud and has been replaced on my car about 5 or 6 times (only one of which was outside of warranty however). I'm am keeping an eye on my coolant consumption though.

Enjoy the hunt!

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Yep. You don't want a used subaru. As far as fun is concerned

07 rex placed in the 5th place in the recent $20k-$25k c&d funster comparo. So you can't have a cake and eat it too. What's more important, fun on snow and locomotive motor? Then rex is for you. If you can forego awd there there are plenty of far better choices for all around fun (including dry summer fun). If good fuel consumption is very important take a good hard look at honda fit. If you can guzzle a bit mazdaspeed 3 and GTI should fit the bill. Civic Si is sandwiched somewhere in the middle of the fuel thriftiness / outright hooliganism spectrum. If you can wait for 08 rex maybe FHI has managed to put their crap together. Who knows.
Reply to
isquat

I glossed over this first criteria in my original response.

I don't think you'll be happy with any Subaru if this is a top priority. While the full time viscous coupled AWD is a treat in the snow, it, as well as the boxer engines come at a fuel efficiency penalty. If you're lucky, from an Outback you may see 28MPG now and again on the highway.

Gas mileage is one of my few gripes with my Outback.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Reply to
glycine

You bought a used outback for a price of new one

He wanted somwthing that handles well. He also probably wants something with awd that works (the latter is purely a speculation on my part)

Reply to
Body Roll

Nonsense.

Man, if you're relying on Car&Driver to form an opinion on a car...

Sure you can.

Like what?

For fuel savings personally I'd go with a turbo diesel...

Reply to
Mk IV

On Apr 18, 5:38 pm, Mk IV

Don't even get me started for I'll light up like a christmas tree. You haven't been screwed and I was.

Exactly. Won't buy another car without consulting them first. cause i don't wanna end up with another ultra reliable boring piece of shit on wheels. i don't mind the ultra reliable part just don't want the boring piece of shit part

Uhu. In a $30k evo you can. For $20-25k i don't think so.

I should add RX-8 to the list of mazdaspeed 3, gti and civic si already listed in the post you have replied to.

Hmm, last time I checked bmw 1 was not imported into the states. Dunno how jetta tdi compares to fit funwise so you just maybe right. fit has short gearing so it just could be more fun around the city.

Reply to
isquat

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com scribbled:

Bought a used Subie that gave you trouble? What'd you get? How did you get screwed?

Explain "boring piece of shit"?

Used Evo?

List? What list? But you're right, with a good set of tires, all of them above are fun cars.

You should define what's "fun" for you. If it's being fast off a street corner and between two traffic lights while not spending too much on gas, try a Kawasaki...

Reply to
Mk IV

92 legacy. bought in 99 at 92k miles. by 166k miles put $10k into it including transmission rebuild and ended up with a blown motor. I loved the thing though. Now I have a perfectly reliable replacement that i hate to drive regularly. wife has it. poor girl asks me all the time: why did you buy an old fart's car? i just look away. maybe a new wife would cure the situation? i could use some relationship advice

A car that flexes rolls squats and dives without any provocation. a set of tires that squeal at the minor hint of spirited cornering an engine that takes forever to wind up, an uncommunicative steering and a scyscraper taaaaaaaaall fifth gear. Mediocre brakes round off the package. Despite all that fun to drive on snow and gravel though only due to the awd that works and works and works and works

They depreciate agonizingly slow and given how mitsubishi reportedly handles the warranty claims for them i would not dare even though on paper the warranty looks better than that for sti.

I listed all three save for rx-8 in the very first response to this thread.

Yes. Civic si comes with an option of decent rubber. Something that rex and base impreza does not so you have to live thru a set of the RE92 crap. perfectly good for snowbelters i guess

been there tried that screwed up my hearing over not a whole lot of riding: under 40k miles in less than 4 years. won't go there again want a completely enclosed motorcycle on 4 wheels pref light and with awd and a/c. i see a convertible and just chuckle from the wind insulated comfort of my cocoon

Reply to
isquat

So, your assessment of the WRX is based on your previous ownership of a... used 1992 Legacy and some article in Car&Driver (probably sponsored by the Ford Motor Co.)?

What is it?

Perhaps your wife has better taste in cars than you do...

Yet, as it is, given a comparable good set of tires, on a race track (not to mention on a proper rally course) a stock WRX will handily blow the doors off any of the cars you mention, save perhaps the Evo which is not available in Canada anyway since Mitsubishi is too damn unconcerned about their Canadian customers to have it passed by Transport Canada.

For your education, this is the kind of fun a WRX can give a good driver on dry pavement:

No, they're crap on snow, ice, dirt, wet, pretty much anything except they give improved grip on dry pavement once the tread wears out. I did get close to 60 000 km out of them though.

As for the Civic Si, there's 100 of them for maybe every five WRX on the road. I'm very happy to be one of the five and I'm willing to bet that more than a few Civic owners would love to drive my car instead.

Reply to
Mk IV

2005 outback zerosport

probably

yes, it will blow the doors on all of them and yes, it's faster, but depite that all the cars mentioned are more fun to drive because they are a balanced package as opposed to an awd muscle car with an engine lifted of a locomotive

well, i feel sorry for you up there. maybe new sti won't be that much worse than the new heavier evo X packed to the roof with the electronics

they are within $1-2k in the US so it's almost entirely up to them what to drive: capable chassis, tranny and wimpy motor -> get an Si capable motor and sucky chassis, tranny -> get a rex

Reply to
isquat

On Apr 26, 3:38 pm, Mk IV

Reply to