2002 BMW 330i - How do I set clock?

I bought a beautiful steel grey on black 2002 BMW 330i about two weeks ago -- got a great deal on it. Thanks to everyone on this board who has given me advice during my search for the right car.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to set the clock on the dash and in the radio.
The owner's manual says something ambiguous about putting the key in the 'on' position, then turning the right knob on the dash. I've pushed it, pulled it, turned it to the left and right. No reaction - plus I do not want to break it. When I refer to the manual to set the time on the radio clock -- it says to check the owner's manual.
What am I missing here?
Brandon

Turn the key to on. Push the end of the turn signal stalk until the clock is displayed. Twist *and hold* the right knob counterclockwise for hours (or minutes), and clockwise for minutes (or hours). The radio clock is synchronized with the dash display's clock.
Floyd
fbloogyudsr wrote:

weeks
has
in
pushed
I do

on
minutes),
synchronized
Thanks Floyd, Ill give that a try :).
wrote

Are you trying to SET the time, or make it so that the time appears on the dash? These are 2 different things. The manual will tell you how to set the current time and date. THEN there is a option on what information displays in the dash readout. You can have the time/date/fuel consumption 1/fuel consumption 2/etc. If you have more than one item selected to display n the dash, pressing in the stalk will cycle through these items one by one, and OFF is another position. If you only have, say, time, pressing the stalk will display the time, pressing it again will turn it off.
tech27 wrote:

who
the
key
plus
time
displayed.
on the

set the

displays
1/fuel
n the

one, and

stalk
Thanks for the post. Im actually trying to set the time, which seems like it would be a pretty simple task.
I recently bought the car used. The clock on the dash and on the radio appears like this: -- : --
I do have the multifunction computer on the car - so I'm not having a problem toggling from the clock, to the temperature, mileage readout, etc
I have placed the key in all positions (3, I think, including with the car running) - and twisted the toggle switch back and forth with no response. Is there some setting I'm missing? I wonder why the clock would have been reset in the first place - maybe they changed the battery out? I have a 2002 330i with 54K.
Just go to a dealer and have a friendly salesman show you. In spite of all my "knowledge" I too have been unable to figure out some simple things from the manual, only to find out it's child's play.
Alternatively, you could get any child around 10 years old to figure it out. (I'm NOT kidding or being a smart ass!). (-;

It took me 15 minutes of playing with the buttons to get it set on my 'new to me' 99 328. The book is lousy.
tech27 wrote:

So true, so true. ;-)
Jeff

Brandon> Thanks for the post. Im actually trying to set the time, which seems Brandon> like it would be a pretty simple task.
Brandon> I recently bought the car used. The clock on the dash and on the Brandon> radio appears like this: -- : --
Brandon> I do have the multifunction computer on the car - so I'm not having a Brandon> problem toggling from the clock, to the temperature, mileage readout, Brandon> etc
Brandon> I have placed the key in all positions (3, I think, including with the Brandon> car running) - and twisted the toggle switch back and forth with no Brandon> response. Is there some setting I'm missing? I wonder why the Brandon> clock would have been reset in the first place - maybe they changed Brandon> the battery out? I have a 2002 330i with 54K.
Sounds like something is wrong with the clock itself.
The first advice you got is what works on my 2002 330xi, make sure the dash display is the clock, then the right stick on the dash is active. Turn a bit, and hold. It moves. But mine never read --:--, it always had a time on it (generally only changed with DST changes).
--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.autos.bmw...)

OK I figured it out. I read in another post to twist the stalk until you feel a 'soft click.' Having just bought the car, and knowing about the cost of maintenance repairs -- Id rather drive around having to check my watch vs. having to pay to have the stalk fixed.
Thanks again for all of the advice. Was thinking for a while I'd have to be driving around in a $42K car without a working clock.
;)
replying to fbloogyudsr, Shauna wrote: OMG THANK YOU!!! It worked!!!!
Shauna wrote:

I just buy a new car twice a year!