'83 BMW 320i-Over-heating with A/C on

Hello- I recently renovated completely a 1983 BMW 320i. Everything works 100%, except when I run the A/C, the temp needle goes up to the red. When I turn off the A/C , down it goes to normal. There is no funny
sound with the A/C and it works perfectly when on. The radiator fan is spinning, so I just don't know why this is happening......any ideas? Help appreciated as summer heat is close at hand!! Thanks
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:02:45 -0700, sitar wrote:

There is a second auxillary fan in the front that runs at idle. There is a radiator fan switch as well. The switch is 15 bucks. The fan is 260. The thermostat is 18 bucks. You can pick it up at bavauto.com or bmaparts.com. In this case I would do the thermostat first and then the aux fan switch. 30 bucks and will cover all the bases. Good luck.
ER

Is the engine actually overheating? If not, it could simply be an electrical fault that is triggered when the a/c is turned on. The auxilliary fan has been mentioned, but IME whether the fan is working or not doesn't seem that critical. The auxilliary fan on my 525i has not worked in the 2 years I've had the car. It has never overheated, and the a/c works perfectly. I suspect the only time it is really effective, is when stationary in very hot weather. I'd be inclined to look elswhere for the answer. Mike.