'88 BMW 325i not starting

My '88 325i refuses to start. Battery is good, it cranks but it just does not want to start. I have investigated the following:
FUEL System: 1. Using 2 wires I connected the fuel pump directly to the battery -
the pump ran and delivered fuel (I had a hose with one end connected to the fuel pressure regulator in the engine compartment and the other end in a container to receive the fuel). So the fuel pump is good.
2. I removed the fuel pump relay and using a jumper wire I've connected sockets 30 and 87 then I measured the voltage between the terminals in the fuel pump connector - it was battery voltage - good.
3. I cranked the engine while watching the hose I had connected to the fuel pressure regulator to see if fuel was delivered. There was plenty of fuel - good.
IGNITION System: 4. I tested for spark using a grounded spark plug connected to one of the wires that I had disconnected from one of the spark plugs. There were blue sparks while cranking the engine.
So I have spark and fuel delivered to the cylinders but the car would not start at all... Could anyone please help with a suggestion/idea of what could be wrong? What should I check next? Thanks a lot, Dan
Dan Brenner wrote:

Timing belt slipped?

How can I check if the timing belt slipped? And if true, is there a way to check if there was engine damage or not? Right now, when I crank the engine I don't hear any unusual sounds coming from the engine. Is this a good enough indication that the engine is (still) ok?
Thanks, Dan
My 87 525e did the same thing, same engine type. The trouble is the spark was too weak! We found a dry solder joint on the main output resistor in the Motronic DME, that was resoldered and the fault fixed.
You may also have a bad temperature sensor.