88 cherokee turning over but not starting

Hi there we have a 88 Cherokee that turns over but doesn't start. After about 30 seconds it catches and then seems to run ok. we know nothing about engines it there anything we can look at to resolve this?

MK

Reply to
harry palmer

Common problem for older Cherokees, just been there myself. First off even when correct it seems they need two revolutions of the crankshaft to start. That's 6 compression strokes. Put another way it seems too long to start. The biggest problem on my 89 was the battery ground strap that goes to the engine block from the negative terminal on the battery. When we metered it while cranking it was dropping 3 volts accross the cable. That's not enough voltage for proper cranking speed and therefor something called the "crank position sensor" dosen't give feedback to the engine controler and without it the engine controler won't fire the spark and possibly fuel. We got a new one at NAPA for just over $6. Then we cut the insulation off the old one and found it was all green with corrosion. After that get someone who "knows about engines" to test the fuel pressure. Also spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor might help.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

To start, check the mesh wire from the top back of the engine to the firewall. If this is rotten, the starter won't leave enough power to fire the computer up easy.

Second is the connection on the CPS or crank position sensor. This is at the rear top of the engine above the exhaust manifold and is a three pronged plug and socket with only a red and white wire in it. This needs cleaning now and then.

Mike

harry palmer wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

thank you all for your advice. I'll keep all of them in mind and get back to you with the results.

Reply to
harry palmer

For some reason she is starting first time now so I will keep an eye on her. Thanks again for all your help.

Harry

Reply to
harry palmer