96 318is - pimp my rust heap?

i've just noticed tiny rust spiderwebs on my 1996 318is M-tech (i've had it for 8 months). and its on 6 panels lol. all the doors and the rear side panels. its hard to see under the black paint but of course it
will get worse... i really like the car - nice shape, M3 mirrors and 18" mags..... apart from the rust only things i don't really like are the K's its done (155), and the leather seats, although in very good condition i've seen better leather in newer cars. i'm trying to decide between a total repaint and fix up, or sell it and trade up to a 2000 / 01. i could afford either but i think the pimp would work out cheaper.... rust is the kiss of death when selling.
if i did do the fix i'd do it properly and get all the window seals replaced, tints, new angle headlights, etc. would others in my situation consider doing this on a car that's done 155Ks..?

There's a lot of us doing it on older cars with many more K (miles) on the clock...
It's a 318iS, that engine's OK but the E36 is too heavy for it (E30 318iS is a blast). Sell it and get a 328i coupe. It's not worth investing a ton of money in.
You can move your 18s onto the new car. Just get some cheap 16" alloys from ebay to sell the old one with (I got four nice ones with tyres for 100 quid!).
Look down in the south of england as they're more rust free there. I got our last two cars in Bristol and Bournemouth, found them on ebay. Both were rust free (16 and 11 years old respectively).
John Burns wrote:

i prefer 4-door cars. i quite like the economical 318 engine, i'm guessing a 2.8L 6cyl would be a lot more thirsty than a 318iS..? i'm mainly concerned about the long term reliability of the engines which i don't know much about, and i guess is pretty hard to tell at any rate ;) my mechanic says it looks great for its years but who knows.

All BMWs engines will last to silly mileages IF looked after.
The 328i isn't bad in fuel due to it's higher gearing. I easily average 30+ mpg (Imperial) and I have a heavy right foot. Even managed 40 a few times!
My wife's 316 (1800) is much less thirsty in town. (About 25-30%)
My 328 only just manages to equal the 316 on the open road, but only if I drive very conservatively.
If you are looking for economy around town, stay away form a 328.
MW
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland