BMW Maintenance Agreement

The local BMW dealer has been advertising maintenance coverage on new BMWs that extends to everything from oil changes to brakes up to 50k miles. I assume this is rather like an extended warranty that you pay for over and
above the cost of the car. Since I am not a BMW owner -- not wealthy enough -- it seemed unlikely to me that BMW would cover everything for nothing. Am I right?

Yes, 4 years or 50,000 miles in the U.S. It's essentially built into the purchase price.
http://www.bmwusa.com/owners/owners_benefits/maintenance
Tom K.
Tom K. wrote:

I don't think there is a "delete" option for the "included maintenance". But if there was, that would probably be the best bargain going...
You'd get to choose where to have your oil changes done and get money from BMW to do so. Of course you'd still want to retain the regular warranty. ;-)
--
-Fred W

tww wrote:

You're wrong. The "not wealthy enough" is exactly why BMW extends full maintenance on their cars - and they also hope some maintenance is done so they can resell the car at the end of the lease (over 50% of new BMWs are leased..) It is provided at no additional cost (which probably isn't the same as no-cost - it's factored into the wholesale price of the car..)
It basically covers everything except tires. It makes the cost of a lease the actual cost, not the lease cost plus maintenance costs. AFAIK - BMW is now the only luxury car maker providing this. Mercedes used to and they quit doing it.
Watch for the killer lease offerings you see on TV - then visit a dealer and ask about leasing a BMW. You may find that you can lease a BMW for the same $$ or less than a lesser car. And the expenses won't eat your lunch.

Actually, as a still working retired USAF type, I could buy. I was being facetious since I have heard that maintenance costs on BMW are out of sight. However, given a maintenance agreement for 50k that is built into the price, it does become very reasonable. However, I should not think that typically you would run into anything significant for that period of time anyway. Brakes should last 50k at least, for example. And, a major tune-up should not be for quite some time. I would think that buying some with say 100k miles on it would present a whole new set of expensive problems unless the car was well maintained.

tww wrote:

I've had brakes under maintenance, and Service-I (which is an expensive one). The brakes were all 4 rotors and all pads. Also had the 2-year brake fluid flush done. That and oil changes, wiper blades, even washer fluid if you feel like stopping at the dealer - add a lot of value to the "free" maintenance.
And it's exactly someone like you who they are looking for - someone who was afraid of the maintenance - but has the $$$ to buy/lease a BMW. FWIW - you can also extend the maintenance another 2 years/50k miles for a not too unreasonable cost provided you purchase the extension while the original factory maintenance is still in effect. Average cost for an average BMW (330ix, 525i, etc) is around $1,100. If you get one more set of brakes and an Inspection-II done under it - you're $$$ ahead.

It's not for nothing - it's included in the price, that's all.
--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*