emissions maintenance light

I have a 1988 jeep cherokee pioneer, with 238,000 miles on it. The emissions maintenance light has come on. What do I do to remedy this? Al Travis

Reply to
albert travis

Remove the bulb???

Reply to
jeff

I think that this applies to all the early Cherokees and Wranglers, but consult a manual or dealer. The emissions light goes on, and stays on, until you replace the control unit. If you want to be squeaky clean, and adher to all federal regulations, then you should replace it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Will Honea

Same deal for '91' XJ's? Is the unit located in the same location?

Reply to
Doug

This may sound stupid but you simply unplug the two connectors going into the timer module for it under he dash in the area of the steering column and plug them together eliminating the timer. It can't be reset and the official way was to replace the timer. JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

The 91 XJ went to the MOPAR computer, best I recall. That had a real, honest to goodness check engine light with stored codes. The old Renix was just capable of running the engine and fuel system - no stored codes (or codes off any type, for that matter). The "Check" light was simply a timer that set the light at 80,000 miles, period. You were supposed to replace the cat and/or the O2 sensor then. Useless bit of EPA compliance, nothing more.

Reply to
Will Honea