BMW why do they?

Page 2 of 2
theres a factory option to remove the electronic max speed limit..
for my (x5) the option code is 0840
What I dont know - is how fast it can actually go....
Regards,
Henrik Ohm http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t47734

wrote in message

* the original joke was about UK police Range Rovers that had loads of trim removed and an uprated (higher compression than the standard low compression 'tractor fuel' 3500 V8). These went quite fast, but were very thirsty and had all the aerodynamics of a brick ****house.

Range Rovers in the UK have always been in general high compression. Even the early ones perhaps aimed at the working farmer etc by the rubber mats rather than carpets.;-) Although I'm sure you could specify a low compression version as these would have been sold overseas.
There is - or was - a low compression version fitted to vans and ambulances that only managed 128 bhp from carbs. ;-)
The Met - London police - at one time specified low compression for all their cars so they only needed to stock one type of low octane petrol for both cars and vans. So the old rumour about them being tuned was in fact correct - but tuned down. ;-)
'Area' cars - that's the type that may do chases - round here are now E39 diesels. They were bought towards the end of the run, so I'd guess the Met got a very good deal. There are also some Tourings.
--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery.*

London SW

As it happens an X5 is a vastly superior drive to a Land Rover (only been driven a Range Rover), but whilst the oomph is much the same as a 7 series, I would guess that pushed round corners with similar haste one would soon come a cropper. (a Range Rover of course would go through the hedge and carry on on the other side as if nothing had happened).
"I would guess that pushed round corners with similar haste one would soon come a cropper"
Actually, Top Gear or Fifth Gear, I forget which, tested the X5 against various "real off-roaders" off and on road. On the road the X5 handled almost exactly like the 5 series saloon throughout various high speed emergency manouvres and chicanes. Very Impressive!
zerouali wrote:

What else would you expect from a road vehicle?
--
Regards

Steve G

Ok, so an X5 isn't technically an off-roader, but perhaps a better question would be: "What else would you expect from a BMW off-roader that is really intended to be an on-roader?"
Neil wrote: <snip>

Yep, that would have been a better question.
--
Regards

Steve G
Fecking hell.
R. Mark Clayton seemed to think that an X5 "pushed round corners with similar haste one would soon come a cropper".
I was giving an example of how this is not so. It's nothing to do with what I expect from the X5.

Don't fret zerouali, Steve G was just trying to make the point that the X5 isn't technically an off-roader, and it really shouldn't be a huge surprise that it handled like a 5er. Personally I think its testament to BMW that they can produce a part-time off-roader with the extra ride height, higher centre of gravity, and bulky aerodynamics, and it still handles well.

Being in a pedantic mood. What does "er" stand for? I've seen this also in wine (for example 1er cru). Presume it does translate to 'series' or 'edition'.
David

Five-er, Three-er....or 5er, 3er. In the context of wine, you're talking premi-"er" mean first or number 1.
1er means "premiER" => first 2 me means "deuxiEME" => second 2 nd "second" => second 3 me "troisiEME => third ... didn't hear about "5 er" or it doesn't have a French origin

And:
Fnf-er, Drei-er...
DAS
Neil wrote:

Thank you Neil, couldn't have put it better myself :-)
--
Regards

Steve G
R. Mark Clayton wrote: <bit of a snip>

The problem here is you're not comparing like with like. The X5 (despite any BMW marketing hype to the contrary) is an out and out road vehicle - and a VERY good one to boot - whereas the Rangie (or any Land Rover except the Freelander) is a truly off-road vehicle with good road manners.
In the case of the current Rangie, it's a match for any of the current "off-roaders" on tarmac when driven by someone who knows how to drive it. Being both a BMW and Discovery owner I know that I can pretty well match the 7 series time over a given route in the Disco; but that it has to be driven differently. My times at Castle Combe in both vehicles were within a second of each other - you should have seen the look on the face of the Imprezza driver when I went underneath him on the last corner ... in the Discovery!
--
Regards

Steve G
Im in agreement with most of this thread except for the comment about the Freelander.. Im not sure where it comes from but the little hippos are a pretty competent vehicle offroad if you know how to use them. They have their limitations, the awd being the main issue, but I have yet to get stuck in the hippo where the Rangie and the Disco have left me winching my way out more than once....
Corey T. Shuman
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@goldrushexpeditions.com --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gold Rush Expeditions
www.goldrushexpeditions.com

Man, that Denver cop who drives the Ford Crown Vic, must get bummed reading stuff like this :^)
Uhm,
well i am talking about an 2001 x5 - E53 if you like.
Mine is originally delivered to germany without the speed limitation ... the car is an 4.4i with sports package and staggered setup....
I can tell you that this x5 (or any 4.6is / 4.8is etc) is a very streamlined garden shed...
It has very nice handling cornering and acts much like the 5/7 sedan / coupe counterparts (not counting M type cars)....
But still nobody tells me how fast it can go.. the limiter was at 128mph i think - but then again i dont have it and i dont understand non-metric measurements...
Rgds,
Henrik Ohm