Brake Light Circuit???

I'm getting an intermittent "Brake Light Circuit" message on my 1991 E32. It appears that the left rear brake light is working intermittently. However, the "Brake Light Circuit" message is reporting
a problem with the right side. It looks like there is a short some place, the light will work fine for a while and then go out. Any idea what the problem could be? Mustard rely, LKM, brake light switch???
~J.

Usually the "Brake Light Circuit" message is sent when the brake light switch under the brake pedal goes bad. Its an inexpensive and relatively easy fix for a DIY'r.
Kyle. 98 740iL 97 M3

Sorry, but I beg to differ. My understanding is that this message is entirely and only due to failure of the bulb. I CAN, however, be triggered when one of the bulbs is old or weak. Hence the practice of replacing ALL the bulbs when one burns out.
I switched the left and right brake light bulbs to see if it was a bad bulb. The left brake light still went out intermittently.
BTW, if it was the brake light switch, wouldn't both brake lights go out? It my case only the left side is failing.
~J.

The message "Check Brake Lights" indicates a bulb failure. "Brake Light Circuit" is a wholesale failure of the circuit, at least to the check control system. As I said it USUALLY means a bad brake light switch, but not always.
Kyle. 98 740iL 97 M3
I've had the same recurring problem on an e34.
only solution that endures for me: at some point the wrong bulbs were used -- too hot, and the plastic edges of the brake light assembly melted and became misformed. the contacts b/w the bulb and the assembly were less than perfectly aligned...
thus, if one files down the assembly, so the bulb will fit tightly again, all should be ok...