Can anyone tell me what this is?

Whilst changing the fog lights on my E36 this weekend (thanks for the tips on this, I will be putting up some photos of how to do it at some point to help the next guy), anyway, whilst doing that I was poking
about and found this sitting on the inner wing, rattling about.
http://www.kewlit.com/pics/whatisthis.jpg
It has no markings, no part number, nothing.
After a bit of poking about, I found another one on the other side, this one was still fixed to the inside of the wing, just behind the turn indicator. If you weren't looking for it, you'd never see it.
Does anyone know what this thing is? My car is a '96 325 TDS SE, and it doesn't have the blown lightbulb check system, so it's nothing to do with that. It does have headlight washers, and the electrically adjusted headlamp up/down control by the steering column.
It's about 2.5" x 1.5" x 3/8". It's completely black, no markings, and all the wires are brown.
Can anyone shed any light? I'd like to know what on earth it is.
I also found 2 sensors in some air ducting that leads from the front grill through to a hole in the front of the wheel arch liners. One side had a long thin probe that stuck out into the air flow by about 1", and the other side had a big round one that just sat at the side, it was about 1" diameter. I guess they are temperature sensors, but why should the car care? And why does it need 2? Surely the air coming in on one side is the same temp as on the other!
Anyway, thanks to anyone who can tell me what these things are/do.
Dodgy.

One is the external temp sensor. The other is the sensor for the heated washer jets.
Hi,
Looks like an earth junction block. The thickest brown wire is probably the main earth connection for all the others.
Paul